CAN-AM (BRP) Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer Non-General or Non-Basic questions about your CAN-AM (BRP) ATV. ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE CAN-AM (BRP) SECTION. Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!
MrHorsepower and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

oil questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil questions

hey everybody i was just wondering what kind of oil i can run in my ds i dont have manual and cant find a specific answer can i run something that the local auto parts store carries i read something about jaso or something along those lines is this in the sertaint oil or is it an additive my other question is where is the oil filter and do i need to buy a gasket with the filter when i replace it i think it is behind 1 of the covers but not sure

Old 03-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

As far as the oil goes look for ATV/Motorcycle oil that is JASO rated (Read back of bottle) Major brands like Valvoline and Mobile have a specific oil for this use. If you want GREAT protection for your bike and can afford a little better oil both AMS oil and Redline are good choices as well!

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/ATV_4_Stroke_Oil.pdf

Old 03-13-2010, 01:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the quick reply now i have to find a store that carries it

Old 05-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

napa, wal mart, they all have mobil 1 which is about 8 bucks a quart. i agree, red line is good stuff

Old 07-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider
Set a New OEM chassis 4 stroke national record on his OMW DS855 - 3.93 !

Mr Horsepower at OMW Racing has his own line of oil now, that he has been running is his record breaking bikes for a year now. Specifically engineered for atv engines, from duners to all day riders, and full race bikes. Also very competitively priced.

Here's a link to another forum where he explains it... OMW-oil

Old 07-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Range Rover
Has a DS 800 Turbo Nitrous EFI money eating monster!

oil is cheap a crank shaft is expensive. run the best oil you can aford and change it often

I run amsoil but that is open to debate

Old 07-24-2010, 09:21 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

"Synthetic vs conventional"

Google it and read up on it,you will never buy oil made from dead dinosaurs again.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by TLC
"Synthetic vs conventional"

Google it and read up on it,you will never buy oil made from dead dinosaurs again.
Being a mechanic synthetic has its advantages but for people on a tight budget there is absolutely wrong with dyno oil. The world as well as I hve been using dyno oil (Valvoline) for years without fail! You just might need to change it more often than with a synthetic type oil! If you have a 4x4 UTE atv that does not need to turn high RPM's dyno oil works perfectly!

Old 07-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider
Set a New OEM chassis 4 stroke national record on his OMW DS855 - 3.93 !

I sure wouldnt run that crap (dinosaur) in my drag bikes. Like Ray said, oil is cheap but parts arnt. When I spend the money on 'nothing but the best' parts, Im sure as heck going to buy the 'nothing but the best' oil too.

OMW=BEST

Old 07-29-2010, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

I don't run fully synthetic oil in anything with a wet clutch, unless it specifically says that it is made for it on the bottle. Fully synthetic motorcycle oil has friction modifiers in it that allow the clutch to work properly.

Its important to clean the oil screen when you change the oil. I tried to upload a pic of the screen, but the site isn't working properly. "DS oil screen.htm:Invalid File"

Quick Reply: oil questions