CAN-AM (BRP) Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer Non-General or Non-Basic questions about your CAN-AM (BRP) ATV. ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE CAN-AM (BRP) SECTION. Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!
MrHorsepower and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

DS 650 handling issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS 650 handling issues

I have a 01 or a 02 (I forget which) that I aquired totaled. It was crashed pretty bad. It had sit for a long time so there were many issues. Not being familiar with this type of carb, I didn't know the air box needed a lid to work properly. The lid was missing. I've always run 2stroke motocross bikes. So chasing a backfire I think I may have damaged the starter sprag. However since I got a new one it hasn't been an issue. I assume I will have to install it soon. I got a new carb and modified the slide and got it running good. The control arms were torn off. To start i attpted repairing the old arms. Its rather hard when you dont know the actual shape they were. Had stability issues so I've replaced 3 of them with used parts. And repaired the left lower. When I first installed the new arms it seemed to be fixed. I ran it up and down the road a few times and it seemed fine, much better anyway. Although the clutch seems to slip from 3rd up. Someone had turned the rear shock preload way too low. So I adjusted it up. This raised the rear up a bit. Also made it hook up much better. Couldn't get traction before. However it started handling bad again. Going fast it is very twitchy and unstable. It bump steers badly also. Possibly the increased rear ride hight effected the suspension geometry? The only other change that was made was I added air to tires. Thinking maybe bad cord in tire? Couldn't really see anything wrong wit tires while rolling. And don't feel anything going slow. Tires are a bit dry rotted.