CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

cdi box

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 07:05 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cdi box

hi all and can any one tell me what is the best cdi box for ds650 baja 2002 and can i install it on a stock engien right now i have full pipe and jetting with stock needle in clip 4 and 180 main jet and k&n filter in the airbox and im at sea level

ps: i dont want to blow the engien but i want more power and boost and i use it for drag racing with friends and long riding .

Old 06-09-2003, 10:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default cdi box

Cool, you have several to choose from. Alba and graydon are pretty much the same and work very well. The woods and pami boxes are good but dont have a rev limiter at all. Vortex just came out with a new box. It costs more than the others but has more functions for dialing in the bike.

Old 06-09-2003, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default cdi box

Big Gun is comming out with a CDI, Supposed to have a simmilar curve to the RWR one, and have a higher rev limit. The best part is the price should be under $200. Its not here yet, but should be anyday

Old 06-09-2003, 04:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default cdi box

Sand the rwr cdi has no rev limiter at all.

Old 06-10-2003, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default cdi box

The RWR and Pami CDI have no limit and similar if not the same curves

Alba was selling a CDI with a rev limit, but I read on another board that someone purchased one from alba and all it was is a RWR with an alba sticker on it.

Graydon Proline makes a CDI, High rev limit, I believe like 9500rpm high price $$$

Vortex makes the only cdi that is actually plug and play for all baja on '03 DS with the different plug

Big Gun should be out soon with a rev limit of 9250rpm and a similar curve to the rwr all under $200

I like the idea of having a rev limit cause we all no **** happens. Having a plug that fits is also a nice feature.

Old 06-10-2003, 01:57 AM
Range Rover
Default cdi box

and what about installing it on a stock engien with littel mods that i told you before is it ok or what ?

Old 06-10-2003, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default cdi box

I believe an aftermarket CDI would benefit even a stock DS. The changing of the timing will benefit the performance even with mild mods. Allowing the engine to rev higher allows you to take advantage of the power the stock limiter robs us of, Although on a stock engine the power falls off shortly after the stock limit of 7900rpm.

As far as reliability goes, over reving will kill an engine, usually valves will float and run into problems. A stock engine can safely run higher then 7900 rpm. Having a rev limit is a nice safety feature if you miss a shift or blow a clutch. A fear of everyone with no rev limiter is if they roll the quad and it pegs the throttle open causing the motor to over rev. In reality even with a rev limiter the motor will eventually blow due to oil starvation. So the only true safety feature in that case isa kill switch with a tether cord.

Trending Topics

Old 06-10-2003, 02:27 AM
Range Rover
Default cdi box

and can you tell me how to do that because i want to do it on my ds650 baja but i dont want to blow the engien

Old 06-10-2003, 04:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default cdi box

The changing of timing and raising or eliminating the rev limit is all done by installing an aftermarket CDI