CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Can you tell if steering stem is bent?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you tell if steering stem is bent?

Without taking it off the bike. My buddy was over my house last night and after having quite a few brews he decided to take the DS out for a spin without my permission and no helmet. Well soon as i heard the engine start i ran into the garage to see him in 3rd gear tearing down my street. 5 seconds later i hear silence. Walk down the road and he's unconcious and my bikes flipped over on it's back about 20 feet away. I guess he hit the curb while trying to turn on concrete. Ohh well nice ride for him in the ambulance and now all my front controls are bent i.e. clucth/brake levers ,handlebars, headlights shot plastics vapor, rims and possible control arms. He has $ and said will fix everything no problem. Im just trying to see what else is jacked. Anyone tell me what else to look for on the DS when it takes such a digger? The bike runs and no oil light comes on.
Sorry for the story
Thanks

Old 06-15-2003, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry to hear about your buddy and your quad. I've seen a couple of bent steering stems and it's not something you can easily overlook. The paint will be cracked off and the stem will have a bulge on one side or the other right near one of the frame brackets. If straight handlebars are not level when the wheels are straight, something is tweaked.

Old 06-15-2003, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

watch the bracket that holds the key panel.

Jack up the front of the bike so the tires are off of the ground. Then turn the handle bars back and forth. A bent stem will usually bind on the plastic bushing. It should have the same resistance like a normal bicycle.

jbt

Old 06-15-2003, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

i have the bike up on a stand and i do not see any binding or cracked paint. I do see bent lower control arms on the front brake side of the bike. Who makes lowers or should i get oem? It's a 01.
Thanks