CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Need some alky tunning help

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 04:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some alky tunning help

Ok I converted my carbs to run alky, half way. I ran into a little problem.
It idles PERFECT and even good with a little bit of thumb. It falls FLAT on its face when on the needle. If I stab it WIDE open it will spit, give a umphh, and then rev VERY fast. This is ONLY at WIDE open throttle.
My needle was in the second to last slot (almost as high as it will go). I thought it was rich so I dropped it all the way down, nothing happened.
So I then put in a main jet I drilled, still thinking I was rich on the needle. Sorry back track a second, I have NO mains in it. The main that I put in is the same size as the emulsion tube. Now it wouldn't start unless I choked it. Take the choke off and it would die, unless I gave it just a very little touch of throttle. Like this it would not rev at wide open throttle and it didn't help the needle, made it worse I guess.
So now I assume I am lean on the needle. So now what should I do?

options:
1; shorten the needle
2; make the needle have a steeper taper
3; drill out the emulsion tube
4; buy some damn Lectrons, LOL I wish
5; anything else????

Could this be a fuel level problem? I don't think so because it is not comming out of the overflow and it runs well at WFO and at idle, BUT.....

I thank you for any help. I only know two Raptor guys on alky, and one is helping me. But I knew alot of you WONDERFULL fellow quad enthusiast might have some advice.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

BTW, post any idea you have. I am down untill Monday evening because of a broken clutch cover. I need to get this done by Thrusday so any help/advice would be appreciated!

WARD

Old 06-21-2003, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

TAKE OUT THE PILOT JETS

Old 06-21-2003, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

If you were running a 45 or 48mm carb could tell you. For a 45mm carb you need to run a 57.5 or a 60 Pilot jet. Elliot at Ron Woods has a new Achohol kit for $75.00. It has a new Needle tube and three main jets. I think it may even have some new needles. But From what I understand the three jets are a 300 up to 330 mains. Anyway I am considering this kit myself. Anyway good luck.

Old 06-21-2003, 04:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks

Take out the pilot????? Why is that? It idles very good.

Old 06-21-2003, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

because it idles so good it is lean if you take both pilots out if it is th same as the 45mm i have or close you sjould be able to take out the pilots and it will idle like pop pop pop!! but when you give it the throttle it should rev quick instead of stumble.

with the 45mm no accel pump you can't run with a pilot because of that stumble you are talking about

Old 06-21-2003, 07:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ward, I'm not sure these folks know your doing this to a Raptor.

Old 06-22-2003, 04:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ward, I'm not sure these folks know your doing this to a Raptor.
Yeah I never gave that any thought.LOL

When ever I get my clutch cover back on Monday I will try some stuff to see how it goes. I will try the pilots just in case. I ahve already made them bigger sooooo....

Anyway, thanls again for the help!

Old 06-22-2003, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

Now come on Dave, a bomb dude would never send a raptor dude down the wrong path[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 06-22-2003, 12:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Actualy they wouldn't, not the ones in the know anyway. There seem to be more bombs on alky than Raptors and I'm sure thats why he asked here. But, they keep feeding him info for the 45's etc.

Old 06-22-2003, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

I KNOW HE IS A RAPTOR BUT IT DOSEN'T MATTER IF YOU CAN SEEM TO GET THE BURP OUT OF IT TAKE THE PILOTS OUT AND SEE IF THAT WORKS

Quick Reply: Need some alky tunning help