CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

My first jetting experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first jetting experience

While i was waiting for the UPS man to drop off my jets and some other things, i decided to get my carb apart and ready for em. Man those four screws on the bottom are hell!! I tried like 3 different ways to get em off but no luck. I heard of you guys using a needlenose vicegrips to get em off, well i didnt have any. So i decided to use channel locks. Heres how i got em off with them. With a pair of gloves squeeze the channel locks until you hear all your knuckles crack then your ready to twist and finally them suckers would budge. As for the two top ones the first one actually came out with a screw driver the second one i used the channel lock method again. I got some questions

1. Does anyone know was size the two screws are on top of the carb?

2. The dynojet diagram for the needle is alittle dull. The diagram i think says to put a washer, then the little plastic or whatever it is piece (its the stock piece, im supposed to use that right?? or is that another washer im supposed to use.. lol), the clip, then a washer, then the little spring (thats starting from the pointy side). Good thing they added another spring cuz mine went across the garage! So if anyone has that diagram they can look at would you let me know if that is correct. thanks!

Well i got it all back together and started it up, well after i remembered to put spark plugs in, tard!. I had my end cap off cuz i thought the one i ordered was gonna be in, so my bike was pretty loud. Im gonna have to wait til tomorrow for my end cap to come in then i can test it out.

Steve

Old 06-25-2003, 06:52 PM
Range Rover

if you look closely the way the dyno jet instructions show the order of the washers.. and the way they are shown in the DS manual are different..i went with the dynojet method, one washer and the plastic washer under, one on top... the manual shows all three below the clip... you can do what you want, moving the third metal washer above or below the clip gives you about a half of a notch of needle clip position adjustment......so just for kicks id say if your running on the second notch from top run all three underneath, if your running the third notch or more, run one metal washer on top.... but play around.. to get it right takes a million trys.. the spark plug method just doenst work on these things so dont even bother.... if your top end sucks you rich... good luck.. as for the bolts there 8mm up top and the bottom ones can be replaced with bolts from home depot.. with a metric size bolt head, instead of a screw.. works better... and when they strip... got to a tiny bigger wood screw, thatll hold her for awhile..
Jetjock16

Old 06-25-2003, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

Hey thanks for the reply. I just wasnt sure if that was a thicker washer or the plastic washer, it sounds like i did it the same way as you so ill try that. I already replaced the 4 screws on the bottom with stainless allen ones, just wasnt sure on the size of the top. And as for tuning dynojet does a good job with explaining how to get it running right, so i dont think ill have much of a problem with that. Thanks again!