CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Lovin my DS' even more!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lovin my DS' even more!

Guys i dont know if my jets were totally off when i bought my 4wheeler or what but all I just bought were 3 simples things. I got the K&N Filter (lidless), Mod. End cap and jets and Im telling ya for the first time Im actually scared when i drive it.. lol.. I love it! I used the stage 3 from dyno jet and I think its pretty damn near close to where it should be. I rode that bike hard today and I didnt have one lean pop, one bog or anything (i actually had a lean pop when it was totally stock before, but maybe only once or twice in a couple hour ride). Only draw back (not for me, but for my neighbors) is that end cap is SO loud, it blew my hat off when my dad took it for a ride when i was standing behind it... haha. You should see then grin on my face! Hats off to you guys that have high hp DS's, you guys are crazy!! I just had to tell you guys (or gals) this cuz i havent been this happy since i bought my quad, im never looking back now.

Old 07-01-2003, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have played with every size jet in the kit and i can tell you that if your off it makes a huge differance.. HUGE, specialy in the drags.... these bikes will run fine on jets 5 sizes too rich youll just not have access to top end you could if you jetted them correct... id say dont go bigger than DJ instructions recommends, maybe even the next size down, the DS likes to run a bit lean, youll know when you get it right.. its a whole new beast just as you described.

Old 07-02-2003, 10:38 PM
Range Rover

Where did you get the end cap? I haven't seen them for the DS. Mine is stock right now, and it does have a "Lean pop" every couple hours of riding. I just picked up new sprockets today (15 front/42 rear) from TVI, and would definitely go for what you just described.

Old 07-03-2003, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry, I'm a newbie to carb tuning...but can someone describe a lean pop?!

Old 07-14-2003, 01:54 PM
Range Rover

A lean pop is when the bike backfires & dies.

Old 07-19-2003, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

so what was the total for the 3 mods?

and when u pull the lid on the airbox do you run it totally open? (have either an outerwear on the filter itself, or any kind of mesh cover on the box?

and also, where did u get the new endcap, and what did that cost u?

Old 07-19-2003, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

Yea, you run the lid right off or just can the airbox and mount an air filter on the carb itself. You will need to re-jet. Price = 3$ for a main jet.

End cap, well, you just remove the stock end cap and replace it with a free-flowing port that you can buy or make yourself. Cost = cheap

And another thing, you can trim the slide spring on the stock carb to allow the slide to open alot faster and easier...giving you way better response. Cost = Free

These things can greatly affect performance over a stock machine and only costs pennies.

Old 07-23-2003, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry guys forgot to check for replies on this.

Jetjock16, what you said sounds right on. I used the stage 3 from DJ and it runs great, but after about 10 hrs with the 3 mods on I have a good amount of black stuff on the endcap. I could probably jet down if i wanted to, but right now its good enough for me.

Overkill, I got the endcap from On dunes. Its think it looks really nice. It fits nice and tight and the port matches right up to the screen that holds the packing in.

Roost, the total for the 3 mods were around 200$. it was well worth it. I couldnt really tell a difference with the lid on or off, the directions ( i read the directions a couple days after lol, so now its back on) says for the stock carb keep it on, so i did.

The other day i ran with a friends raptor that had a new filter, full fmf exhaust and jets, I could beat his bike no prob. Top end i had him by about 3-4 mph. Well today, I went for a ride with a buddy from work that has an 04' raptor. It has a full yoshimura exhaust, filter and jets. His bike ran ALOT better, you could really tell the difference. I never have raced anyone with my DS before. So we lined em up on a gravel rd, we counted to three and let them rip. I started in first (what the hell was i thinking, damn rev. limiter), he hardcore wheelied. After we both got outta first gear we were side by side, then i had him by maybe 2 bike lenghts to 4th gear, then the trail started to end. We then raced again, down a paved rd (straight, about 1/2 mile long, never any cars on it). We did a rolling start, and again i had him by no more then two bike lengths. Top end we were exactly the same, he said his would go 77 on his gps. With a higher rev. limiter i think it woulda been a different story. But ive learned with the stock limiter when racing, try to shift right before you hit it. It was pretty fun riding w. one of our main competitors. We switched bikes back on the trail and omg, it seems like you dont even have a bike underneath ya. It took me a while to get used the seating and everything else.

Old 07-23-2003, 09:40 PM
Trailblazer

Ds 650s are nice just a bit overrated.. Saw one get smoked by a banshee not to start an arument becuase there are alot of diffrent factors in just a quick drag. I wanna drag a ds with my blaster [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ill end up gettin smoked tere

Old 07-23-2003, 09:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider

hey how would a lot of quads do against the banshee, i could beat stock banshees with my stock ds, and now i can take down some serious banshees there is still those that can tear up the hill but hey there is more that i can do.

Quick Reply: Lovin my DS' even more!