CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Got the cdi in...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got the cdi in...

I got the Vortex CDI in today and will install it tomorrow. However, looking at the instructions on the ten different mapping settings I noticed that the rev limit for the main map has been raised. It used to be 8350rpms and now it is set at 8900rpm's. WOW. I really like surprises like that. At least now when i get some more mods..(yeah, i know i said i wasn't going to but....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img])...I will have some extra rev for it. Also considering that the stock valves are good up to 9500, this was about where I wanted the limiter to be. Thanx Marky!

Kenny

Old 07-31-2003, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

if you don't mind me asking how much was it and where did you get it?

Old 07-31-2003, 11:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think I know where he got it & how much he paid.

Kenny, be sure to post how it makes your machine run after you install it. If that is the only mod you've got on your ATV power wise, it should provide an excellent basis to judge what it does for the machine.

Old 07-31-2003, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

o opps, maybe i should read a lil slower, miss the lil details sometimes

Old 07-31-2003, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

I believe he got it from On Dunes Performance. I put one on my Baja and it made a pretty good jump on the top end. I've not yet had a chance to mess with the different settings very much, but what messing I did do, I couldn't really tell the difference by changing curves. I need to test it out when non of my racing buddies are around.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] The number one position seemed to work the best for me.

JMiller

Old 08-01-2003, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

hey jay, what was your #1 setting rev limiter set at? Did your come with the upped rev on the first setting?

And Yah, that is where I got mine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-01-2003, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: PureIntimidation
I got the Vortex CDI in today and will install it tomorrow. However, looking at the instructions on the ten different mapping settings I noticed that the rev limit for the main map has been raised. It used to be 8350rpms and now it is set at 8900rpm's. WOW. I really like surprises like that. At least now when i get some more mods..(yeah, i know i said i wasn't going to but....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img])...I will have some extra rev for it. Also considering that the stock valves are good up to 9500, this was about where I wanted the limiter to be. Thanx Marky!

Kenny
The stock valves are NOT good to 9500 RPM!!! You should not exceed 8500 RPM on a factory valvetrain!!!!

With the RWR Valve springs, 9500 is the limit...

Jeff

Old 08-01-2003, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

Well thats NOT true Tyre.. The RW are rated to 9500 but they will safely spin to 10000 RPMS.. Some people can get 10,300.
9500 is just thw WAY under safe number..

Old 08-01-2003, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

I went from the RWR CDI to the Vortex.

I had the rev limiter set for 9500 in all 10 settings. On the Dyno the settings 1-5 were more torque/HP below 5000 rpm. Then the settings 6-10 were late bloomers and I peaked HP at 8600 rpm on setting #10. My DS didn't fall on it's face until 9000rpm. Internally the engine is stock

The Dyno was an old one that only showed HP and MPH. I won't reveal the actual HP#, it was embarasing, but I gained 6 hp over the RWR in setting #10 but lost alot on the bottom, I mean is was serious crap on the bottom. So I run setting #4 (traction) for trails and surfing and #10 (power) if I'm racing.

My personal opinion is RWR CDI is great and it's not worth the $$$ to change. If you have the RWR CDI keep it. If you have a stock CDI and want to upgrade get the Vortex.

Old 08-01-2003, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

They should just make 1 map.. take the BEST of the bottoms and paste it on to the best of the tops.... Have the timing SELF adjust.

Quick Reply: Got the cdi in...