CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

14:1 Piston and the CDI to run it - Does this make sence?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14:1 Piston and the CDI to run it - Does this make sence?

Many of you know that I was running last weekend with the new 14:1 piston. It ran really good, lots of low end power as well as top end. I just happen to have the Vortex CDI in the quad when we tried out the new piston. The reason I used the Vortex CDI was the safer choice since it had a rev limit and the piston was new. Well, to make a long story short, last night I took out the Vortex CDI, and replaced it with my old RWR CDI since the motor was broken in. To my dismay, the RWR CDI didn't do nearly as good as the Vortex. In fact, the motor was harder to start, harder to keep running at idle, and not well suited for low end RPM with the RWR CDI. I didn't even try the higher RPM!

The only reason I can think is differences in the power band. Any of you have any additional information or opinions as to why this would happen?

Old 08-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

well my compression is simlar not as high but 13.5 and i run the woods so it would seem like it would work on yours, and i was really suprised how your machine came out of the hole, should have ran mrs sandman she has the old stage two it would have been a neet measurement on how much power or pull or just the difference of the stage two. i know you think different but i really think you need taller tires on the back, but that is just me, i know that will throw the front off, and i do agree with you it is best to stay with the size bigger front. and i have thought more about dunefest and i think i had a really good time the price like you said was stiff but over all the racing and hanging out was a lot of fun

Old 08-05-2003, 11:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would take a guess here say the ignition timing of the RW cdi is probably farther advanced than where the vortex was running. I don't kow anything about the vortex, but I do know the RW is more advanced than the stock cdi for better peak performance. if the vortex is retarded compared to the RW then this would make it a little easier to start and idle.

Old 08-06-2003, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the input. I put the vortex right back in and it started up after two cranks and no choke. Perhaps the Vortex is not so advanced (like you mentioned Hightower) at the low end of the curve. I know it didn't run at all with the RWR one; Not that I have any preference on brand or anything. I wish I had a map of these curves .... oh well.

Marky

Old 08-06-2003, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

Without knowing what the map looks like, it is hard to tell what is going on. Also, if you tuned your bike to a certain curve, it will most liekly be "off" on a different curve or CDI.

The person who is dialing in my Vortex is making a "Sinusoidal wave" (sp) instead of a flat rise or fall of the other CDI boxes. This will let us have the best of both worlds. We can program in the most torque and best idle and then make the wave more advanced after 5000rpm. This might be what is programed in your box? But without actually looking, it is hard telling.

DuneDevil

Old 08-06-2003, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SANDMAN430
i have thought more about dunefest and i think i had a really good time the price like you said was stiff but over all the racing and hanging out was a lot of fun
I know I sometimes come off as really strong. The fact is that we all made it a good time. I enjoyed every person from this forum I met. As you know I went to Dune Fest two years ago and this year's activities didn't come close to what Dune Fest used to be - not even close. I miss the 30,000 people jammed in watching events, racing, riding, and having a good get-together. I also miss the UPP/Fullbore party. Perhaps if I hadn't partook of the good times a few years ago, or if I had a family, I might think differently. The friends that were there this year were tops, and the sand was excellent. On a positive note, I felt incredibly safe the whole weekend; but perhaps thats the whole problem. Being single, I don't mind taking some calculated risks for an andreneline rush. I know I am going to Sandlake this weekend to try and find what was missing at Dune Fest last week.

Old 08-06-2003, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Marky jsut come right out and say it! It's ok. You are just pissed because the Ohton Banshee chick and her twin sisters weren't there.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-06-2003, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

Now that would have made my day! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-06-2003, 02:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider

mark didn't you see bo dericks sister out racing her banshee? i don't know how you could have missed all the hair and beads. plus the crew said they ran into some topless banshee girls.

Old 08-06-2003, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

Hey Iron I have a couple of friends running the 14:1 with RW cdi"s and they havent had any trouble with idleing and such. I wonder if your box was shorting out or something like that. What kind of fuel are you running. One of these guys put his bike on alcohol and it sounded like a beast with that big compresion popping out the exhaust.

MrHorsepower

Quick Reply: 14:1 Piston and the CDI to run it - Does this make sence?