CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Sand Rails

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sand Rails

What do you guys know about long travel sand cars? I cant decide on what brand, and engine. What do you know about buckshot(I know their the best but the most Moneys) Extreme Performance, Funco, ECT. I dont know anything about funcos air bag suspension and can you air it out and haul *** through the whoops? With about 500HP whats the Top Speed? And how easy will it wheelie? Please help me out with ideas, suggestions or comments. Thanks. And is their a website where i can also see about used ones.

Old 09-28-2003, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sand Rails

I have just placed an order for a Funco big 5 gen 4 car. Buckshots are nice, so are alot of the others. I went with funco because I am more of a duner then a jumper or whoops. They are a shorter wheelbase, so they turn and dune better. Grant told me that he only ever had one airbag fail, and it was a defect. The only others were when the car was wrecked.

Check out glamisdunes.com, deepsand.net, funco-motorsports.com, there are alot of sites, the asa site is good also.

I went through all the same stuff, what do I want, I looked at every builder, and in the end decided that funco fit what I want the best. I would call Grant at funco and talk with him. He can answer alot of questions for you.

Oh and something else to consider is a trailer, alot of these long travels wont fit in a standard enclosed trailer.

good luck
bat

Old 09-29-2003, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sand Rails

Congrats..Bat!!!
Grant is a top notch guy!he will not let you down[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

jeff

Old 09-29-2003, 12:14 AM
Range Rover
Default Sand Rails

I currently own a TATUM, have had alot of problems with in the past. I, am having dual turbos
being installed on it by MECHTECH MOTORS. Hopefully it will be ready in a few weeks, will keep
you guys informed on the progress. Jim at MECHTECH motors is anticipating 600HP at the rear
wheels.

Old 09-29-2003, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sand Rails

Originally posted by: jeffnrivercity
Congrats..Bat!!!
Grant is a top notch guy!he will not let you down[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

jeff
Yeah Jeff, Grant is great. What I like is even before I had anything on order he would take his time and answer all my questions. He would go out of his way not to put me on hold or things like that. And my wife called and placed the order having really no clue what I want and he took great care of her.

He seems to be an all around good guy.

Hopefully I can get it all done mid summer. The chassis wont be ready until late february or early march. It might take longer to get done, after the initial purchase it will most likely nickel and dime me to death. But it is all good, I like a project.

Should be fun, cant wait

Old 09-29-2003, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sand Rails

Bat..I have only heard good things about Grant,and his customers..

marbleous,
what transaxle are running(mendeola 2D), or going to be ruining?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
My 2D has started growilng at me lately..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]..next step is the AGB$$$$$$
And yes I have a few friends with Tatums(great car)but I here Tatums cutomer service after you buy the car sucks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

jeff

Old 09-29-2003, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sand Rails

Hey Franky don't you think you should learn to drive that thing first? Your going to get Maytagged in that thing I can see it already![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I think I am going to be going with either Tom Pro or Sand-Winder out of Colorado.

Old 09-29-2003, 10:32 AM
Range Rover
Default Sand Rails

Jeff,
I got the transaxle (MD4S2DR) from Sam at Rancho. He upgraded the shaft and
bearings and assured me it would handle a twin turbo Northstar engine
As far as Tatum, I really can't blame them for all the problems. I put the order in
with a local here he supposedely??? purchased a frame from Tatum, well
10 months later and one missing in action Chris Kelly (a--hole junkie I ordered it from),
and manny, manny dollars later, I,m trying to finish it on my own. Jim at MECHTEC, has been very helpfull. Tatum says its not their problem

Old 09-29-2003, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sand Rails

Tony, sandwinder has just relocated to the phoenix area, not sure where yet.

And tatum is wrong, it is their problem. Well at least it should become their problem. Hope it all works out well in the end.

bat

Old 09-29-2003, 11:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Sand Rails

Bat,

What rail did you go with?? any pics,or links to Funco? What did it end up setting you back(ballpark).

bigger.

Quick Reply: Sand Rails