CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Help, lots of smoke

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 09:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, lots of smoke

I just installed the RWR stage two kit and a TM45 carb. Starting for the first time produced lots of smoke. I let it idle for about 1-2 min and the smoke backed off a little. Is this normal, I've never seen it this bad. Please help!!!! PS. there is a lot of oil in the pipe, so im sure it will take a few minutes to burn out, i just want to know how it got there and make sure something is not wrong.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 11-13-2003, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!

They usaully smoke when they are first started,burning the assembly oil out of the cylinder and head. If it don't clear up after some ridding time. Check the rings or valve seals. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

J Ross

Old 11-13-2003, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

What color is the smoke?
white= water
blue= oil or gas
Check your oil, make sure there is no water ( it will look like peanutbutter )

Old 11-13-2003, 11:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Yuuuuuum peanutbutter!!!!!

Old 11-14-2003, 12:47 AM
Range Rover

Thanks, maybe ill start it up and let it run while i cook some peanutbutter smoors on the header pipes, lol just hope they don't taste like smoke. So what happens if it does not go away, check rings???

Old 11-14-2003, 12:49 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: THEBOM
They usaully smoke when they are first started,burning the assembly oil out of the cylinder and head. If it don't clear up after some ridding time. Check the rings or valve seals. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

J Ross
By valve seals do you mean the seals under the springs

Old 11-14-2003, 01:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

JER, YEARS BACK WE RODE IN A TOWN CALLED CHIPOLA, LA. DO YOU KNOW IF THAT AREA IS STILL OPEN

Old 11-14-2003, 01:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Jerfinds
Originally posted by: THEBOM

J Ross
By valve seals do you mean the seals under the springs
That's what he means. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] They look like a cap that is tapered in on the top with a hole in it. Where it is tapered in there is an o-ring and a very small spring around the outside. The valve passes through this. It acts as a flashing to keep oil from entering the combustion side of the head.

Old 11-14-2003, 02:13 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: sandbomber
JER, YEARS BACK WE RODE IN A TOWN CALLED CHIPOLA, LA. DO YOU KNOW IF THAT AREA IS STILL OPEN
No, I have never rode there, I'll have to do some searching on that place and get back to you.
As for the valve seals, they are new, they came with the stiffer dual valve springs along with a new top and bottom retainer.

Old 11-14-2003, 02:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider

wasn't there a thread on the ring for the woods piston if you put them on upside down they would smoke more? seems i remember looking last time i had the stage two apart and one of the the rings does have a releaved edge. well maybe a call to woods and elliotte could give you the answers you need. other than that they do smoke some when you put a new piston in.

Quick Reply: Help, lots of smoke