CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Valve Adjustment (can a newbie tackle this?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 04:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Adjustment (can a newbie tackle this?)

I just got my DS (used 01) and have been going over the bike to make sure everything is ok.
I would like to check the valve adjustment.
What am I getting into?
I dont have a manual......anyone have a copy of the procedure?
Is this easy to do, or should I have a shop check it out?

Thanks

PS I want to thank you guys for the information regarding Baja lights on my older DS.
I found them for $90.............. install went as you said, work great!!!!!!

Later

Old 11-16-2003, 05:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you've never checked the valves, I suggest finding a friend who has done it before and do it with that person there the first time. I just did that a couple of months ago, and now after seeing it done once I'm plenty able to do it, however I really hadn't any idea prior to seeing it once. I'd suggest this method as better than paying a shop to do it because if you pay the shop you'll have it done but you wont be able to do it yourself next time. If you don't have any friends with that kind of knowledge, see if you can get one of the mechanics at the local shop aside and ask if he'ed do it personally. (I'll bet they will, it's extra cash form them!) Before you start the job make sure you have a good selection of extra shims. I currently have about eight different sizes all in pairs so I can adjust my DS' as needed whenever. If you find the shims before you go to do the work you may be able to mail order them or find some shop which has them for cheaper. BMW motorcycle dealers are often the cheapest, around here they wanted 4/each, the Kawasaki dealer (These are the same size as a KZ1000? - whatever the model it's the police edition Kawi motorcycle a 29mm shim.) I think Jiminok said he got them some place near him for about $2 or $2.50 each. I ended up paying $6/each at the Kawasaki dealer, however, when you already have your ATV taken apart, it really doesn't matter what it costs so be sure to buy the shims first. I have sizes 215 or 210 all the way up 250 I believe.

Old 11-16-2003, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

Here's the link you need to successfuly adjust your valves...same engine, same proceedure. If you have a bmw dealership in your area that is the place to get shims at the best price (picked mine up when in San Diego earlier this year). Make sure to wash your quad down, especially after you remove the tank, so you don't get any dirt in there. Get or make a Top Dead Center (TDC) bolt. Plan an oil change in conjunction with adjusting your valves since you're gonna be dropping the oil anyway. Be sure after you put you shims in and tighten the carrier back down and remove the TDC bolt and fill the bike with oil to rotate the engine BY HAND! If anything binds up you won't be bending valves that way. You can do it!

VALVE ADUSTMENT Print this [book]!

I have to thank ThePunisher for helping me get thru my first valve adjustment...morale support if nothing else. And thanks Chris for remembering that I too once was quite intimidated by the task but successfully done the dead.

Old 11-16-2003, 11:11 PM
Range Rover

I just did my valve adjustment and the BMW shop my by house did not charge me anything for the new shims, I just gave them my old ones, since I will probably never need them again. This way you just get what you need when you need it and its free, Because averyone knows, even if you have extra shims, chances are you dont have the ones you need. Everything kinda works out that way lol.

Old 11-16-2003, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

I had never touched a valve until the DS. I found it very easy. Infact I replace the piston my self. ITs really easy. It's more fear then difficult. But if YOU are more comfortable to have it done then by almeans have it done!!