CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

question for anyone who knows about the stolen atv recovery checks.. ie when they run your VIN#?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question for anyone who knows about the stolen atv recovery checks.. ie when they run your VIN#?????

Guys,im talking about those checks the cops do , like spot checks where the run your Vin #..... i know they do this in CALI sometimes and i hear they stop at my local TX dunes once and awhile.. Anyway my question is this.... do they see if it is in your name or if it is just called in Stolen?...
why do i ask?
cause i have the title to my DS from when i bought it used, but i never transfered the name from the last owner... i will sooner or later but for now, if i get checked by the cops what will they say... My bike has never been reported stolen or anything abnormal.. just havent put the title in my name..
thanks guys
Jetjock16

Old 11-27-2003, 03:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for anyone who knows about the stolen atv recovery checks.. ie when they run your VIN#?????

do they really have titles? seems the vin would just show stolen.

Old 11-27-2003, 04:12 PM
Range Rover

I know that in PA they have titles. Just get it transfered and then you don't have to worry about it. I would think that as long as it isn't reported stolen that it should be ok though.

Old 11-27-2003, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

Yes you do get titles for them in Texas. My brother just stepped on the band wagon & bought a used DS650 last weekend & got a title with it!

Old 11-27-2003, 05:58 PM
Range Rover

The longer you wait to transfer the title, the higher the penalty fee is going to be. You only have 30 days to get it transfered into your name, then a penalty is assesed after that (and the penalty keeps adding up).

You also going to need a bill of sale to show proof of sale (just a title doesn't work). That means your going to have to pay sales tax on the purhcase price.

I used to live in TX (Dyess AFB (Abilene) to be exact). I still have all my vehicles registered in TX even though I live in FL (being in the military).

Get it titled, if your scooter ever gets stolen and re-covered, it will be given back to the previous owner.

Old 11-27-2003, 07:20 PM
Range Rover

In Oregon, the Vin # is entered into the Database which forwards to the national computer. When the VIN is run it will hit as a stolen if entered. there has to be a number to enter into the database in order to get a response

Old 11-27-2003, 07:28 PM
Range Rover

Every quad will have a Title.... doesn't matter where you live (same as a vehicle).
When they pull up the registration, its not going to be
in your name, that will be a problem, stolen or not.

Old 11-27-2003, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

On top of what Sleuth is saying, when your vin is checked by the police it is ran through local searches and always the national search. If there are any wants on your vin number from anywhere in the country, they will know.

Riders, there are ALOT of stolen bikes out there. The best way to protect yourself is to register your ATV with the DMV. In your name. If you buy a bike, get the title and make sure the person you are buying it from is on the title. Beware of false titles. If the title doesnt match the persons driver's license that you are buying it from, then be wary. Shop somewhere else.

If a law enforcement officer asks to see your vin, thank him and be cooperative. It is an unpleasant task for him to check so many vins, but think of it if your bike was stolen. Wouldnt you want someone out there checking vins to find your bike and catch the #@*^$!! that is on it?

Most states require an Off Road Permit. This is not a title. You must title your bike through the DMV just like your vehicle is.

Old 11-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

over here, if ya get caught by the cops without ur title,drivers licence and proof of insurance you can get a large fine, but most cops don't just a warning or a lil fine, i can't wait til the bylaw gets so i can drive my quad threw town

Old 11-27-2003, 10:27 PM
Uno
Weekend Warrior

In NY you are not required to have a title. When I bought my quad last spring it didnt have one and when I registered it I was only required to bring a proof of sale.

The odd thing is you are required to have a registration if you ride anywhere besides your own property but don't need a title.