ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   CAN-AM (BRP) (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/)
-   -   crank case breather hose leaking oil.....? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/128182-crank-case-breather-hose-leaking-oil.html)

ironrod 12-07-2003 02:46 PM

crank case breather hose leaking oil.....?

Originally posted by: wshrdskin
Interesting thread. When oil was coming out of my breather it meant there was a small hole in the top of my piston. If oil was coming out from day 1 then I'd say this is normal. Others that have had oil coming out the tube has had holes in the tops of their pistons also. I'd say it is not normal and you are getting blow by somehow. Either worn/cracked rings or holes in the piston. JMO
Ever since I relocated my breather tube when I pitched my stock airbox, I have had a small amount of leaking out the breather tube. I'm on my third new piston and its done it with every one from the begining. Its very common to have this problem and most do that relocate the tube. The negative pressure from the air box seemed to keep the mess under control. However, with the negative pressure removed along with the airbox, its a matter of managing the mess. Just a little oil makes a big mess.

The catch can I purchased is from J&P cycle (Harley magazine) and it works great.

Jerfinds 12-07-2003 02:49 PM

When I did my custom intake job, see pics, I ran got a longer vent hose and ran it aroung the seft side of the engine then up next to the carb and into the vent hole on the stock boot than goes from the filter to the carb. This is working fine, but my only question is will it create a vacume and suck oil from the case? I anyone else doing this and if so any problems. I've only ran it once with this setup, I'm going to take the filter off and check for oil in the boot.

BlackHawk 12-07-2003 02:58 PM

I walked out to the garage and the filter was sitting in plain view on top of my work bench so I snapped some pictures of it & emailed them to Wayne. If anyone else wants the pics shoot me a PM. I really should clean it before I try and use it again, the dirt is seriously caked into it.

I think the catch can that IronRod has is the better way to go if you want to be 100% sure of no mess, or if the paint cap trick doesn't work (Though from everyone that I know who has done it it worked OK.)

jerfinds,

You installed the crankcase breather on the long 8" or so ribbed boot that goes from the airbox to the carburetor? I'd check to see if you have splatters in there. I'm not sure if that is a good spot to have it or not.

wshrdskin 12-07-2003 03:14 PM

Originally posted by: R00ST
Mine seems to be leaking oil.... a pretty decent amount....
I guess it's all relative to what is meant by a pretty decent amount. A drop or two as some have stated isn't a concern. If after you ride and it's all over your quad there is a problem. Interesting theory about the relocation of the tube after air box mods Chris. The 3 I'm aware of had removed the tube from its stock location but 2 had holes in the piston and one had cracked rings. Tony's and Scotts Bajas this last turkey weekend were having oil out the tube issues also. Not sure what the results or fixes were in those cases.

R00ST 12-07-2003 03:34 PM

ill take pics of the filter if you dont mind... i just got back from autozone but the selection of KN filters there is poor....

and i couldnt find anything suitable....

rc_quad@msn.com

Thanks

Jerfinds 12-07-2003 04:27 PM

Send me some pics to in case my setup starts leaking. I just ckecked it after a ride and it is totaly dry, so far so good.

jerfin21@aol.com
Thanks

BigWaynester 12-07-2003 04:31 PM

Thanks for the pics BlackHawk, but where did you have this located, I'm not sure where to hide a big paint cap, except the air box...

BigWaynester 12-07-2003 04:36 PM

Originally posted by: Jerfinds
When I did my custom intake job, see pics, I ran got a longer vent hose and ran it aroung the seft side of the engine then up next to the carb and into the vent hole on the stock boot than goes from the filter to the carb. This is working fine, but my only question is will it create a vacume and suck oil from the case? I anyone else doing this and if so any problems. I've only ran it once with this setup, I'm going to take the filter off and check for oil in the boot.

Jerfinds, Hightower runs his back into the carb also, sounds like the best way to go? He has a TM45 and so far it has worked great for him..I think I will try the paint cap trick next... When I ride with him again, I will look at how he has his....He has not been getting on line as much lately, I hope he gets on here and explain what he had done to his.

BlackHawk 12-07-2003 05:37 PM

Wayne,

I had it sitting just on top and to the right of the stock airbox to carb. air duct. It was held in place very well by the seat while riding. If you don't have that air duct, it seems you'll have to find a way to actually mount it though.

Eaglecollector 12-07-2003 05:45 PM

Im not sure about Tony's but I think Scott told me it was ring related. Happened on his second pass with the nos then got worse even though he never used the nos again.