CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

crank case breather hose leaking oil.....?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank case breather hose leaking oil.....?

The crank crase breather hose (the 3/4 inch [approx] diameter rubber hose that comes out of the right side of the case that goes up under the plastic....

Mine seems to be leaking oil.... a pretty decent amount....what does this mean? i did have to relocate it slightly from its original spot (when i put my new headers on it was touching them, so i had to run it along up by the radiator, then back toward the seat)

i currently do not have a filter on the top of it (it was tucked pretty far up under the fenders) but i do think i will go buy a small filter at auto zone for it....

anyway...what would cause this?

Old 12-06-2003, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is nothing wrong, It is normal for a little oil to come out.

Old 12-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Mine will leak out a drop or two of oil right when i start it up when its cold, but when it gets warmed up it stops. I was going to ask the same question, glad to hear its normal.

RoughRider01

Old 12-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RoughRider01
Mine will leak out a drop or two of oil right when i start it up when its cold, but when it gets warmed up it stops. I was going to ask the same question, glad to hear its normal.

RoughRider01
Start-up is even more common. . . oil settles in the cases. Once it gets pumped out on start-up it should stop coming out.

Old 12-07-2003, 04:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you run it open, you might consider getting the filter for it. And to keep the filter clean, get a sptay paint can top and put a hole in it so it fits around the outside of the filter. This topic came up a while ago, and somehow the airflow around the outside of the filter makes more oil come out, whereas with the paint cap around it it doesn't leak anymore.

Old 12-07-2003, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BlackHawk
If you run it open, you might consider getting the filter for it. And to keep the filter clean, get a sptay paint can top and put a hole in it so it fits around the outside of the filter. This topic came up a while ago, and somehow the airflow around the outside of the filter makes more oil come out, whereas with the paint cap around it it doesn't leak anymore.
I agree - A filter on the top of that will protect your motor from getting debris of any kind in the crankcase. They will still leak. I ended up putting a catch can at the top of my hose - no more mess!

Marky

Old 12-07-2003, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

I guess I'm lucky, mine has never pushed oil although it is not considered abnormal, it's not leaking at the junction of the larger black hose and the smaller gray line that is attached to the motor and pushed into the larger black hose? that junction is just "glued" together with rtv, I ran a new hose up the radiator brace under the tank and back down the other radiator brace with a K&N with stocking outterware, if it dose push any oil it wont get all over the bike

Trending Topics

Old 12-07-2003, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of filter, can you use a PCV valve from a car ? Also where do you put a catch can ? and I guess I didn't quite understand the paint cap thing. Right now mine runs into my unused air box with a rag on the end, I'm looking for a better way....Mine leaks very little oil..

Old 12-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Interesting thread. When oil was coming out of my breather it meant there was a small hole in the top of my piston. If oil was coming out from day 1 then I'd say this is normal. Others that have had oil coming out the tube has had holes in the tops of their pistons also. I'd say it is not normal and you are getting blow by somehow. Either worn/cracked rings or holes in the piston. JMO

Old 12-07-2003, 02:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Wayne,

The filter is a K&N (they're about $20/each) and RWR has them specifically for this use. You can also find this filter in almost any Auto Parts store that carries K&N since it is very common.

I'll see if I can find mine (I've stopped using it currently) then take a picture so that it all makes sense. It was difficult to explain, & I really didn't think it'ed make much sense in text anyhow.

Wshrdskn,

The odd thing about this breather hose leaking is that it ONLY happens when the breather hose is used in something other than the stock location. The stock location is to have it inserted into one of the air collection hoses that lead to the airbox. These are the hoses that get removed anytime you try to make the air intake quicker. I have yet to hear of one person have a leaking problem with these in the stock position - me included. On my 2001 DS I had the filter and it leaked; I added the paint cap, no more leak. And when I went back to the stock air setup, it still doesn't leak.

Quick Reply: crank case breather hose leaking oil.....?