CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Timing Advance

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 12:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Advance

I finally got around to trying some custom vortex ignition curves. I was shocked how much of a difference the timing advance made! Advanced timing had a tremendous effect on throttle response and power. I think everyone should be looking at ignition timing to get the most out of the motor. Bombardier must have been too conservative with ignition timing to avoid detonation.

Also, anyone running alcohol should be looking at advanced timing for sure.

Old 01-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Timing Advance

Hey Dave.

Glad to see you made it home safe, So how was the 30+ hour road trip??? We all heard you had the Highest MPH on OLDS but didnt run in the "official" races becuase of them dang whoops. no biggy. you dont need a plastic trophy to know you were the fastest 4-stroke GLAMIS has ever seen.

I do have a CDI question. With high compression, is advanced timing less of a factor. I think I read once that the higher the compression the less advance you need, because the tolerences are so much closer?? DO you think I could benefit from different CDI?

Bigger.

Old 01-22-2004, 12:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Timing Advance

Bigger,

Concerning racing at Glamis - I don't think it's worth anyone's time to race with someone unless your sure you can get a fair shake and not have to worry about someone breaking or bending the rules to their advantage.

The whoops were actually getting better as the weekend wore on - I'm not really sure how that happens but it was nice.

I think a good event or gathering would hold all participants to the exact same rules, and problems like early / false starts would count against a racer. (And would certainly warrant a re-race, and a penalty for repeat offenders!)

When you guys race the flat drags out in the mid west, do you let 'certain' people take an early start or anything, or do you guys try to keep everything on the up & up? it seems out here in the west that sort of eqality thing is irrelevant.

Old 01-22-2004, 01:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Timing Advance

Out here we have alot more respect for one another. If you want to be taken serious out here you better play right. thiers no room for Ego's in drag racing! Drag racing should have alot of PRIDE not excuses. I have raced MANY times when my quad wasnt at 100% but I never make excuses. I dont mind loosing at all, the only thing that bothers me is if I loose and KNOW that my quad can do better, but that is MY FAULT not my oponents, so thier is no excuses I will just come back better nexttime.

If we have somebody leaving early conteniously than we will tell them about it, and if they continue than they will be racing themselves, and all thier credibility is gone.

Hear at LS(okla) if you dont have respect then whats the point. and you can never respect a cheater, or people with big mouths that cant back it up.

JMHO.

Bigger.

Old 01-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Timing Advance

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

AHMEN

Respect is something that alot of people do not have these day's.

DuneDevil

Old 01-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Timing Advance

GOT MY VORTEX TODAY!!!! not going to the dyno til dual pipes show up. simple install clear instructions looking for improvments over my graydon cdi[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2004, 05:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Timing Advance

Jeffroe,

I will be interested in your findings. keep us UTD.

Bigger.

Old 01-24-2004, 06:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Timing Advance

Originally posted by: biggerisbetter
Hey Dave.

Glad to see you made it home safe, So how was the 30+ hour road trip??? We all heard you had the Highest MPH on OLDS but didnt run in the "official" races becuase of them dang whoops. no biggy. you dont need a plastic trophy to know you were the fastest 4-stroke GLAMIS has ever seen.

I do have a CDI question. With high compression, is advanced timing less of a factor. I think I read once that the higher the compression the less advance you need, because the tolerences are so much closer?? DO you think I could benefit from different CDI?

Bigger.
As far as I know, at a given RPM, if you improve the cylinder filling, the fuel will burn faster, resulting in less timing needed assuming starting from an optimized timing curve. With a huge cam, the cylinder filling will be worse at low RPM and better at high RPM, so this would mean more timing at low RPM and less at high RPM.

I think the stock CDI (27 degrees) is too conservative for a stock motor, so it's not an optimized starting point.

I have one of the woods CDI boxes that is a stock curve (27 degrees) but no limiter. There's not enough timing anywhere in the curve, with 8:1 piston, stock cams, turbo at high boost, straight methanol with no flame accelerants. I also have a vortex CDI with custom curves (see my image station album for curves). I've run 34 degrees of timing and then dynamically switched to 32 degress with a pressure switch as boost comes up. This probably added 10-20% power in my case. The methanol and low static compression require the "extra" timing even though there is boost present.

In your case, I believe you have a woods CDI that has some "extra" timing. Plus you have moved your sensor for 8 degrees (?) more timing. It sounds like you have the timing you need. Plus I've heard the sound of your exhaust and you can tell if there's enough timing from the exhaust tone.

FYI, I just gained 10-15HP for the Glamis trip with the timing and with the jetting better optimized. For quite a while with the new turbo setup the jetting was not set for maximum torque, just figured that out. Now the DS pulls like it should!

Old 01-24-2004, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Timing Advance

In the past on other machines it was possible to advance ignition timing by "adjusting" the timing plate by drilling out the mounting holes. I have never had mine apart but would it be possible to do this to a DS? On a Banshee you could get 7deg or so by doing this. What do you think Scooby?

Old 01-24-2004, 08:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Timing Advance

DSMIKE and BIGGERISBETTER have done something like that. there isn't a lot of room to work with, but somehow they did it.

Quick Reply: Timing Advance