CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Help installing a piston!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help installing a piston!!!

I've built race cars, boats and just about everything under the sun. I need a little direction on the DS. I just acquired a RWR 11.5:1 pistion and I am going to install it myself. I'm not worried at all, I would just like a little direction. I am aware that I can do it all while the motor is in the frame, however I will have to cut the frame-stay off - no biggie! I am also aware that I'm going to get a longer 8mm bold in order to find TDC and I also know/have seen what the cams look like when they go in (hash marks facing eachother completely flat).

Any tricks with the timing chain?
short cuts?
be carefulls?
remember to's?

Help!

I would really appreciate it.

Also I was at Dumont over MLK. Wasn't a huge weekend at Dumont but the Red Monster did pretty well up there. I don't know if it was my machined intake or what, but I was pretty much woopin' everyone. There were some modded Shees out there (full alky, swing arms etc. etc.) that you should't even mess with, but Rappy's, 250's, Predators, even other DS's.... you name it I beat it. I had a couple of guys tell me that "every once in a while those darn red ones are super fast". Even other stage 1's were getting beat by me and I'm giving up 100 - 150lbs. What gives? I guess I shouldn't be questioning, just thanking......

Bigdaddy

Old 01-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

come on guys. Throw me a crumb......

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-23-2004, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

Cummon guys!

Throw me a freakin' bone here.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-23-2004, 08:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't have any help for the piston install, but I have a feeling the fact your ATV is dyno tuned really helped you whoop people out at the hill!

I'm looking into getting the Lectron 46HV as my next purchase, though it's not going to be before President's Day weekend (next big Dumont Gathering.)

Old 01-23-2004, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

I would imagine that tuning your bike on the dyno is huge..... I posted on this a long time ago, but it was the best $90 I had ever spent. You would be shocked as to what a half of a turn on the air screw does.......

I'm hoping someone out there can give me a little direction.

Thanks BlackHawk!

Old 01-23-2004, 09:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Where did you do your dyno tuning, somewhere in Vegas? I'm sure there is someone here in the LA area to do it, however I don't know who. I'd also want to make sure the person doing the tuning knows at least as much about the DS as I do!

Old 01-23-2004, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

The placed I used was here in Vegas. Skip, at Sand Tech racing. They sell Bombardier and service them. They are certainly more of a race shop more than anything else though. Skip knows his stuff, and actually lets you see what he's doing when he's doing it. I was suprised a the number of plugs he went through. He must have went trough 4 - 5 plugs. Guess he wants a clean slate for every major adjustment and clean slates when he was getting down to the nitty gritty. It was all included in the $90.

Old 01-23-2004, 09:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

That's not a bad price, I might have to do that sort of thing after I get my Lectron 46HV. I'd have Mr. Horsepower do it, however I wont be in Kentucky .... I don't know when / if I'll ever be in Kentucky - I don't have any relatives there or anything. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Just think, if we keep this thread at the top long enough you might get an answer to your original question!

Old 01-23-2004, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

Wouldn't that be amazing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 01-23-2004, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

The only thing that I would suggest is when torquing the head bolts, only torque them to 5 lbs less then what the book specifies.

Make sure your rings are not in the open position at the same side of the piston.

Other then that it sounds like you have everything under control.

DuneDevil