CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Traction, Dirt/Ice

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004 | 04:49 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Traction, Dirt/Ice

I dont seem to hook up on dirt or ice as good as other quads. 2000 ds mainly stock. Most any other quad i see can launch on ice/dirt and not wheel spin as bad as i do. They can effortlessly wheelie as well. I have tried lowering tire psi to 3psi on teh ice, adn have added more screws, about 200-250 tottal ice screws per rear tire. Seen other quads with less screws that hook up well.

Is teh stock heavy ds just not that good of the line, and at wheeleing? What can i check or fix. Clutch does slip at top end, but tires are spinning of the line. New clutch springs on the way.

Thanks
Dave

Old 01-26-2004 | 05:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It sounds like you need a -1 swing-arm. I dont know how much you wiegh but in ice, it doesnt hurt to have a fat ***.

bigger.

Old 01-26-2004 | 06:32 PM
|
Trailblazer

I go about about 190Lbs.

If I remember right, I read a review on the 03 or 04 ds, refering to a -2 swingarm for that year ,stock, to give the front end a lighter feel and more eassilly lift it over hazards with a blip of the throttle. So I was figuring a shorter swingarm may help? But then why do drag guys run longer swing arms? Just because they are on asphult or something suporting beter traction then loose dirt or ice?

It makes sence if it wheelies to much on asphult or hill climb to lengthen it. So was this a common issue with the earlier stock swing arm? Should i be looking elsewhere, or is getting a -1" or -2" arm the way to go. I'll most likely never hull climb, or drag race it, just, trail, and track.

Old 01-26-2004 | 07:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have three friends on this forum(dunedevil,mudstud,and Jbomb),and they all have -1 swing arms and love them from general all around trail riding and racing. it makes the DS turn better,and makes the front end lighter.
The DS Is alittle heavy up front, in low traction situations the -1 swing-arm really does well.

Talk to these guys,and ask them thier opinions, it sounds like that is your next move.

Thr only reason people need longer swing-arms is becuase we cant drag around Wheelie bars everywhere. The extended swing-arm will let you use more of your power,but only in high traction situations.

bigger.

Old 01-26-2004 | 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

2nd gear starts are used by most fast guys for drag racing. body postion for added traction goes a long way. try different gearing for that mid range power for wheelies, you will be surprised how one tooth smaller/larger will change how that thing handles.

Old 01-26-2004 | 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: berksglh
I dont seem to hook up on dirt or ice as good as other quads. 2000 ds mainly stock. Most any other quad i see can launch on ice/dirt and not wheel spin as bad as i do. They can effortlessly wheelie as well.
well wat kind of quads are so seeing doing this? like 400exs and z400s? if yes then its probably because you have much more power

Old 01-27-2004 | 02:45 AM
Pro Rider

If these are 400's, well you seriously out-torque these bikes and have a weight bias towards the front.

Lean back and put some weight on those tires or don't launch as hard.

It's just like a car on the strip. The more power you add, the more traction becomes a nuissance.

Old 01-27-2004 | 03:01 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!

Nobody has asked

What kind of tires are you running

If you are running the stock 20" rubber, that is the majority of your problem.
I run a set of 22" GBC Shredders on my 2000 DS and with these tires (no screws) I can pull the front on ice and snow - no problem.

Old 01-27-2004 | 03:32 AM
Pro Rider

Old 01-27-2004 | 03:36 AM
Pro Rider

You need more studs ! I run the stock dominators w/ 2000 Koldcutters and it works great ! Last Sun . I raced 2 sleds for 660ft. w/ a 20 ft. staggered start and just waxed both of them . One was a ZRT 600 , and a mxz 670 , both had studs . The stock dominators are the best tires I've found !! 2 yrs with NO studs lost !!!!

Quick Reply: Traction, Dirt/Ice