CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Viskoloc--locking

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 02:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viskoloc--locking

Last night I bought my first ATV. A 2000 Traxter still in the crate. Price was great. Anyhow took it out today and going up a snow covered (some 8-10 ins some packed) hill the trax would almost stop, before it seems, as the front axil would lock. The dealer explaned that as one front wheel slipped the other would lock-as I guess younz all know. But if the front and rear shafts are locked then would 3 wheels have to slip for the final front wheel to lock? It seem to take a lot of front wheel slips(revolutions) before the other front wheel kicked in? Does this all sound normal? Or is there slipage tween the front and rear shafts? Is there any adjustment to get the last front wheel to kick in sooner? The teck manual is on order. Thank you for any comments.

Old 02-06-2004, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

Visco Lok does not depend on the rear wheels to slip. It is a very simple traction sensitive shear pump in the front differential. If there is a difference in wheel rotation speed on the front tires ( ie: slippage), the tire not slipping (getting traction) begins to progressively lock in. If the slippage continues, the tire getting traction will eventually go full Lock ( this all happens in less than a second). If it goes full lock and the other tire is still slipping, the slipping tire will begin to lock as well, until you have all 4 tires pulling.

It all happens so fast, you won't be able to distinguish what is going on if you are riding the atv, because you can't see the front tires. But someone standing to the side who can see the front tires in action will be able to see it.
Clear as mud now?

Old 02-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If it seems like there is a problem, check the fluid in the front differential, that system is very dependant on fluid.

Old 02-06-2004, 03:34 PM
Trailblazer

I thought this system was much like the old AMC Eagle in that the fluid depended on the slipping tire(axil as in the case of the eagle since it was a transfere case) to create the friction to heat up the fluid and plates expanding to lock in. Is this all backwards to the viskoloc system? First sylable VIS--in relation to the viscus(sp?) fluid used in the old eagle case. So am I still *** backwards.

Old 02-06-2004, 10:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

They work and feel just like 222 says. It has nothing to do with how thick or thin the fluid is. It works on a pump that will lock up the clutch pack. Mine works so fast it is like having a true locker in all the time. If you can lean over the side and see one front tire spinning, something is wrong and you need to get it to a dealer and have it checked out.

Old 03-03-2004, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Well that seems like a hell of a system, I have a front diff lock in the kodiak but you have to be stopped to lock it in and sometimes it takes a min to get it lock in. I would think that the viscolok would be a good set up because it would automaticaly start to lock the front dif in without having to stop and lock it in and then try to get going again! Well I have found very few things I dislike about the Kodiak and the diff-lock hasen't left me stuck in the mud yet but I am not saying it won't! Thanks for the info I was wondering what the great thing was behind this locker in the bomb and know i know! See ya on the trails![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]