CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

TVI

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TVI

Hey entomber, whats up with your 720. Last I heard, you had a broken cam. Did you get it together?

Old 02-27-2004, 02:06 AM
Trailblazer
Default TVI

TVI is great called jose and he sent me a headlight kit for the 02 it was complete and easy to install i will be getting more goodies from these guys

mike

Old 03-01-2004, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default TVI

mystereid,

My DS is STILL non functional. I sent the head out to Eric (Mr.HP). I had to buy a new cam $300.00 out of my pocket and indeed it bent the exhaust vavles. I wanted to get larger vavles but I'll see how this fares for now. I spent a crapload on my DS and I still need a battery. I should be getting my head this week. I will post here on how I like it. Hopefully I'll give my Stage III buddy with his fat head a run for his money. Maybe stroker crank down the road.. I hope this thing gives me obnoxious torque.

Old 03-01-2004, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.
Default TVI

Entomber, too bad about your cam but I think it will be worth it in the end. I can't wait to hear a ride report.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-01-2004, 10:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default TVI

you will like the 720. to bad on the cam be sure you check all the listings on setting the cam timing several guys have site with the info on how to do that. i didn't get a cam gear tight once and broke a cam it sucked. think i'm about to loose a battery myself.

Old 03-03-2004, 02:03 PM
SM2
Weekend Warrior
Default TVI

I like Gary and Jose a lot (never met Randy). I bought all of my quads from Gary and in fact, he is the one that talked me into the DS (Thank you!). I have pestered him with questions and he has always been very helpful. He has even taken me into his shop and showed me different projects they were working on at the time. I have never met another owner who would go to such lengths to build a relationship with a customer. They are not always the cheapest alternative, but you will never have quality or service issues with TVI.

Mike

Old 03-03-2004, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default TVI

Gary is okay, he is a good salesman like I said. Sometimes I just want to get past the selling point. I'm sure I'm going to be happy with my DS, more displacement is always a good thing. I have ordered a sprocket cover (which I think TVI has the sharpest looking one to date) and down the road that MSD ignition which sounds pretty neat.

However I really liked dealing with MrHorsepower as an alternative. He is the underdog sort of speak. He is a great guy the best I've dealt in my book (TVI, Sam Coe, RWR). He is to the point and doesn't try to sell anything. We even discussed a bit of religon at one point (Yes I was moved by that Passions of Christ flick and told him to go watch). I'm not throwing stones at Gary, he has answered my questions but I do have a few gripes about certain things that happened (nothing to do with the cam). He did work with me. I sent him a payment and asked him if he can hold off on the rest while I come up with the cash and he did with no flak whatsoever.

Battery and Head are coming this week. I just got my 2nd Terry throttle cable in the mail today. If I get it running this weekend (I dont' want to rush) I will defintely post a ride report!!

Lectron 46HV up next...

Old 03-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default TVI

heck if you had had gary put your engine together you would be riding, it just sucks when things break. the nice part is you don't even know what you got yet you will really like it once you get it going. learning to be a mechanic is painful sometimes

Old 03-05-2004, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default TVI

SANDMAN430 your right. It is painful... and dents your wallet. I know most of you guys are real good buddies with Gary and that's cool. I'm closer to MrHP in age... so prob that is why I relate better with him. I have told both (Gary and Eric) that I'm kind of new to the wrenching thing. I'm glad I'm doing the work myself however. I used to send it out to get any little thing done and realize how much $$$ I was spending.

I will rave about my 720 when it smokes my Stage III buddy lol...

Got the head and battery today... what is holding me up is finding shims. I may call Gary and order some.

Old 03-05-2004, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default TVI

Ive watched alot of things come and go out of Gary's shop. Ive seen all the successes and unfortunately the few failures. Ive learned alot from Gary and the work that he does. I know that he genuinely cares about every engine or part that he sends out and the customer that gets it.

He takes alot of risk with his reputation when he sends a "piece of this" and "a piece of that" out to the customer for them to "save a few bucks" by doing it themselves. Ive even personnally quelled some pretty heated heads when something doesnt work right because the customer "did it their own way" and came back crying "foul" when they did something wrong. Its obvious where the blame went, that is why I am writing this.

When you modify and engine, expect to spend the $$$$$. Any modified engine in any sport is going to constantly need work or tuning or improvement. Look at the variety of things that we put on our bikes, from the different companies. Exhaust, Carbs, ignition systems, Cams...I could go on.

There are those (You know who you are) that have shopped cheaper with the Pami,Knutz,Woods,Alba etc and then some from TVI. And I have heard almost all of the complaints. Almost. And sorting out what is going wrong with the bike is no easy task. But Gary always lends a hand and tries to help out. And gives good advice for "free". His time is not all that free. He needs to pay the bills.

Heck, who has ever had a problem, when Gary is there, when he hasnt opened his toolbox and made his "sand garage" available? Even people that have, so to say, scr&w&d him with their negative postings have come in for help with their bike. I was surprised that they werent thrown out on their butts!

Sorry, this posting bugged me. I just see a guy that puts his whole heart into improving the DS. He cares about the community of DS riders and the people that enjoy tweaking the heck our of their bikes. And there are those that lack the integrity to admit that the problems they are having are:

1. Because they did not know what they were doing - or -

2. Cannot admit that they made a mistake and own their own error.

My suggestion to you is this. If you want a reliable and trusted engine, let your mechanic do it. Be it Gary, Mr. HP, or your own. And let them put it together. The money you save comes with not having to pull your motor out again because something wasnt lined up or shimmed correctly or the gasket leaks because the wrong gasket sealer was used. If your bike is worth modifying to the hilt, dont try to garage sale shop for the performance parts. Establish a relationship with an expert and maintain that relationship. HP aint cheap!

Grrr,the bear is done growling. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Hope you all have a good weekend riding. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] And especially, do so safely. Have fun.

Ken