CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

42mm VS larger carbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 42mm VS larger carbs

Kind of been thinking about carbs lately :sad: and had a few thoughts about carb diameters their performance, and where they are making power.

I have seen first hand the power increase along pretty much the entire RPM band on Mario's bike, with the Lectron 48 - impressive. Mario runs his bike (because his bike revs reeaaalll nice) between 7.5K and 8K. I know that the stock carb won't out perform the Lectron or the TM for that matter - stick with me here for a minute....

The new YFZ uses a small carb as does the TRX and both are capable of 47 - 50HP on the dyno here in Vegas. I realize that the technology of bikes are far above what I'm dealing with but I'm wondering the following:
If I run up the hill and my bike achieves max velocity at say 5700rpm in third, does my stocker (properly tuned) hold it's own. Obviously there are many parts to the equation, but because I'm not turning 7k - 8k does the stocker flow adequately at the lower RPM, to make the difference in HP and TQ not as substantial.

Riding my buddies new O3 DS, his bottom felt wicked, but towards the end of mid and approaching the limiter, the thing fell on it's face comparatively. My Stocker is already at a 180 jet and will probably have to go a little higher since the stage 2. I will be going to the Dyno next Friday so that I can compare runs with the TM45 to the Stocker. My TM was finely tuned and ran strong, but I'm concerned with power at say 4500 - 5500rpm. A tack would be great when at the dunes for real-world testing, but thought that a good bench race with you fine folks would get some good conversation going.

Thanks

BigDaddy

Old 03-11-2004, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

When I tested the 42 Edelbrock I only pick up 2 HP on top but I did gain 5 Hp in the 3k to 5k range. The best HP gain on the DS is well tune carb and pipe.

Old 09-22-2004, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

Bumped this up for forum member freaknek

Old 09-22-2004, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

To make real power on the DS, you'll have to go to the dual set-up

Old 09-22-2004, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

Seeing as how Country bumped it.....

I went to the Dyno TODAY only to have the day spoiled with a piece of crap dyno. Actually the dyno wasn't a piece of crap.... the pickup on the coil and or plug wire was a piece of garbage!!!!! wasted an entire morning with no happy ending.

since the original post, I have done a lot of tuning on the stock carb. The carb is at a 198.5 jet. The sled runs awsome but the larger jet size is affecting my idle a scratch. I know that the main doesn't have anything to do with idle, but is will effect it a scratch if it's too big. When tuning it this weekend, the bike was VERY lean until I started getting up over 190. Now, everywhere but idle seems to run like a raped ape with a jigger in it's left pad. There is not one bit of hesitation on the carb and it runs STRONG. As strong as my Lectron ever did IMHO. It would have been real nice to get an idea this morning [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

as soon as i dyno this again, which should be in the next week or two. You all will have the info..... Obviously when the numbers come back, the nay-sayers will say that the TM and Lectron weren't tuned perfectly. Well, the TM was tuned on a DYNO over three hours and probably 12 - 15 passes. The Lectron is supposed to come pretty close, and Mario and I did a good deal of tuning (and it ran strong). Guess you'll have to take it however suits you best. I would suspect that the numbers will be a scratch lower on peak, but SUPER CLOSE along the curve.

Mario, has ridden the monster with and without NO2. I think he will attest to the power of the configuration as it sits. Pretty cool

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-22-2004, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

Disagree with the duals. Well, I don't neccessarily disagree, I'm just not completely sold on the idea. Eagle Collector rode my bike as a simple stage two with a Lectron. Hope he's watching and chimes in. His words were that my bike was everybit as fast as his if not faster. He was a stage 3 with Dual 39's. Then again, maybe your bike has some choice stuff and super secret hop-up tricks.

That is an expensive set up for sure. Guess we'll have to see at the Armagosa Shootout. See you there XR.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-22-2004, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

freakneh was looking for a forum member with a edelbrock carb so I bumbed it up for him.

Trending Topics

Old 09-22-2004, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for your help CountryJoeGlass, I PM'd for some more info.

Old 09-22-2004, 01:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Originally posted by: XR650Warrior
To make real power on the DS, you'll have to go to the dual set-up

Sorry, But I disagree... a lectron 48/50 WILL out torq and out accelorate a set of dualls with more consistancy.
The dualls when fine tuned to the max rev out good BUT take longer to reach higher rpm, but will not out perform the lectron.(on Gas) From what Ive seen, the dualls do better on alky"IF set-up right" than they do on gas.

I dont know for sure but I THINK 222 and mr hp have proven otherwise.

222 can you confirm>?

Old 09-22-2004, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigDaddy331
Disagree with the duals. Well, I don't neccessarily disagree, I'm just not completely sold on the idea. Eagle Collector rode my bike as a simple stage two with a Lectron. Hope he's watching and chimes in. His words were that my bike was everybit as fast as his if not faster. He was a stage 3 with Dual 39's. Then again, maybe your bike has some choice stuff and super secret hop-up tricks.

That is an expensive set up for sure. Guess we'll have to see at the Armagosa Shootout. See you there XR.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
What is an "Armagosa Shootout" 1st and
2nd - tuning is where it's all at, if you don't have an EGT meter on the bike, I wouldn't depend on dyno's to fine tune the bike, most average builds , stage 1's stage 2's, I call them sloppy-joe's, you will get by just fine with a single carb set-up. If you want real power on a real build you will have to flow 2 carbs,
the DS head is more than ready for a 2 carb set-up.

and as far as having some choice stuff or secret hop-up tricks Big 331, my XR is a back-yard chicken-house build, and has smoked many top builders with a smaller out-dated air-cooled motor with tuning!!!

Quick Reply: 42mm VS larger carbs