CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

White Brothers exhaust: 12 disks or 18?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Brothers exhaust: 12 disks or 18?

for christmas some of my gifts came from rocky mountain, which included 4 Oil filters, and a 6 pack of discs for the WB pipe ( stock as i have it has 12)

I learned (in the middle of an oil change lol) that the ones they sent were for the older models....

i know im going to return the filters, but i was wondering if its worth the 25 bucks to keep the 6 discs? is there really a gain using all of them?

Just wondering what you WB owners thought (i beleive i read that people thought using all the discs only helped the top end a tiny bit)

Thanks guys

Old 03-12-2004, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

I say to just use the 12 disks. The extra 6 disks will make it a lot louder and probably wont notice any power difference..

Old 03-12-2004, 04:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I installed the Discs on mine, it seems to run well, it is almost as fast as the MR. HP endcap now... I just don't like the suit I have on my grab bar. If you have the stock grab bar, you can get the exhaust deflector. I have the DG Baja and the deflector wont help me any. I'd say keep the Discs, but remember you'll need the longer screws before you try to install them. (They need to be 3" or just a little longer.

Old 03-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

is the gain from the extra discs all over the powerband?
if its only in one area (say high..or low...) does it affect the current power in the opposite area? (just want to make sure that if i keep them and mount them to get better power in the upper, that it dosnt decrease lower....

Old 03-12-2004, 06:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Roost,

I didn't do a test ride before and after with my WB, however the general consensus is that more Discs adds to the top end, but not the bottom end. Some people will say that it lowers bottom end power - I don't know for sure. My E-Series doesn't have the low end power that my Mr. HP endcap does - though it does just fine on top. This comparison comes from having rode both ATVs up the same hill, with the same tires etc so it's a fairly good comparison. The hill only gives you an idea of top end, the low end opinion comes from riding from camp to Oldsmobile hill at Glamis. I feel that on my Baja (With Mr. HP endcap) it was easier to bring the front end up while getting over small bumps etc in the road.

Old 03-13-2004, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

Does a different end cap really make that much of a diff? Even over an aftermarket exhaust?

Oh yeah, is the end cap even on the stock exhaust, or an aftermarket set-up? Thanks....

Old 03-13-2004, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock pipe on the ds is a full blown header pipe, but the end cap is resticting it to perform to it max cabablities. Mr. horsepower sells the end caps for the stock pipes. When u put the end cap on the stock pipe it will perform like most aftermarket pipes. You can purchase this end cap at www.mrhorsepower.net Lance

Old 03-13-2004, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Coo.....I learned something new today!! Thanks a bunch!!!

P.S. So does this mean I might be better off with just a cap than a whole new slip-on? Thanks again..

Old 03-13-2004, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

Yes...if money is more of an issue than weight is. The stock muffler is heavy.

Old 03-13-2004, 05:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yes 18 disks gives more power, enough more that you notice it riding without needing a dyno to prove it. but you will have to change jetting, anything done to the exhaust most likely requires jetting changes. 18 disks is the high # of choice because mathmatically speaking the core diameter of this pipe cannot flow any more than 18 is capable of so adding more than this is pretty much futile.
I only had to change the main jet going from 12 to 18, needle and pilot stayed same. think I went up 2 jets, don't remember for certain.

i use a PRM Baja grab bar, and a 180 degree deflecter. it doesn't cover all 18 but it helps a bunch keeping the heat blast off my Bomb grab bar bag. If you have black soot blowing on your bar, you are rich. if the mix is just right then a very light dull gray is all you should get. but in the winter, when condensation formsn the pipe after shutdown, the next time she's fired up she blows the moisture out and I gotta wipe it down.

fasternu - end cap is the economical way to go for more power, but like Eagle said aftermarket mufflers with stainless tailpipes and aluminum mufflers are much lighter and look much better and never rust and can provide spark arresting which is required in most places that I personally ride, including dunes. so just make sure you check the regulations of your favorite spots before deciding.

Quick Reply: White Brothers exhaust: 12 disks or 18?