CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Now I Got A Question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Now I Got A Question?

I got my new Mikuni TM45 about a week ago and haven't got to really mess with it that much until today. I rode my bike and it ran fine at idle and when i got on it. The only thing that was messing up was when i was in about high 3rd gear and low 4th gear while riding, i could pull in on the clutch and the bike would die. It would restart with a little bit of black smoke coming out of the tail pipe. So my guess was that it is burning rich. I am running a 145 main and a 37.5 pilot jet. I know that the main jet is used at high RPM's and the pilot is used for idling and putting it around but i think they both are rich because i can put the bike in netrual and rev it up and black smoke comes out of the tail pipe. I went to the motorcycle shop today and they did not have the jets that i was looking for, so he had to order them and they will be here thurday or friday. I am going to try a 142.5 main and a 140 main and see what that does. For the pilot i am going to try a 35. Does this sound like the right jets to yall? I talked to marky and he said they do jet the carbs rich before shipping because to lean cant hurt the motor. So could I get some answers about what u think i should do on the jetting? Thanks for all the help guys/girls Lance [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hight 3rd gear and low 4th gear are totally diff rpm ranges. When you pull the clucth in do you return the throttle to the closed position and then it dies? Or Just as you pull in the clutch regardless of the throttlle position? What elevation are you at? What the outside air temps? What other mods do you have done to the motor? Does the motor pop at all on deceleration? Have you adjusted the air fuel screw yet? Prolly should start there if it pops at all or dies on deceleration. Do you have the accel pump activated? if you do thats why you get black smoke. Very common on the 45 with accel pump.

Old 03-16-2004, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

I do have the accel pump activated. I have not adjusted the air fuel mix screw yet, but i will do so. I am at 3600ft above sea level, and the mods i have is a ported intake, 12:1 piston, alba complete pipe, mikuni TM45 carb and a direct filter mount on carb(K&N). Thanks for the help and i will keep u in mind if there is any question u might have that i might can answer for you. Thanks again Lance

Old 03-16-2004, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Oh and about the throttle. It only does it when i let off the throttle and pull in on the clutch. It does not do it when i let the motor slow me down by lowering the gears and letting off the clutch. Thanks Lance

Old 03-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

Personally I don't think you need to rejet. 145 should be good at that elevation. The DS does like to run a bit lean but I would be carful and do plug checks. You didn't say if it pops on deceleration. My guess would be adjustment of the air / fuel screw should help. All bikes are diff but when I ran the 45 I settled at 3 turns out. My main was 150 at sea level to around 1500 ft and best at 80 degrees or warmer.

Old 03-16-2004, 10:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

that should be in the right jetting area, i run a larger pilot.

Old 03-16-2004, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

No it doesnt pop on deacceleration, it dies. Thanks for all the help. I will go outside right now and play with the air fuel mix screw and see what i come up with. Thanks again for all the help. Lance