CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ok guys heres what ya wanted to know.......the DS compared to the YFZ.. from the horses mouth

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ok guys heres what ya wanted to know.......the DS compared to the YFZ.. from the horses mouth

ok.. ya'll now heres what a few of ya been asking me for... the comparison.. First off my DS had ASR arms, TCS shocks, Lectron 46..ported..RWR Cdi...etc..So i spanked MOST the DS's it came across...maybe 85%...but im no drag racer..i was always out at the big launches catching air with all the 400s..and hitting the dunes as fast as possible.. my DS was perfect for that.. check my gallery i still got pics up of the DS and the new Yam..... ..As for the new bike.. i got it three weeks ago.. did alot of reaserch on pipes and intake.. and to make a long story short..went with the best..Ron Woods intake setup, ellinates the airbox.. and ESR full pipe.. more mods to come.... ANYWAY went to the dunes this weekend with the same crew of about 8 250Rs and 4 400ex..s i always go with.....Now heres my opinions:

In a drag.. The new bike would win..its just fast.. i did not really drag anyone cause im still in the break in process.. but there were drags going on all day.. 450s were beating raptors and ds's
as for handling.. you can tell its a lighter bike by far.. but you also really feel the bumps more with less sprung weight.. with my TCS tripple rates.. the helper springs soaked up the soft stuff.. the YFZ doesnt budge for the soft stuff.. you take the hits.. as for the big stuff..The stock YFZ shocks come into play landing big air.. its a dream lands better than my DS did... as for jumping the biggest differance was control.. with the DS i would only hit launches at full third gear and attain 10ft of air by a about 60-70... and would be scared that the launch could be bad and i could kill myself due to not being able to do anything about it... this YFZ is amazing in the air.. so balanced.. by the end of sunday i was launching up this dune in full out 4rth.. right off the top...15ft by 85-90 and the launch did not matter.. you could fix it in the air.. this does ALOT for confidence.... i will be able to really fly this thing as i get more used to it....The seat on the DS is the best.. mine had added custom padding.. was real nice.. i felt the YFZ seat is comfortable..i did not notice it being stiff at all.. my wife rode on the back.. she did not say it was stiff either.. you do end up standing allot more cause the shocks are stiff... when the wife was on the back..her 116 plus my 190... THEN it was apparent the DS had the big motor... it would pull hard through 3rd than be working harder in the higher gears.. the DS never new she was there..... THE bottom line guys.. is these bikes kick major a$$.. there no doubt.. i couldnt be happier.... the only observed downside i can see.. is HIGH MAINTENCE.. and dont let anyone tell ya other wise.... THE ds is the most solid built bike ive ever come across and you can spend all you money on mods.. none on repairs.. well that aint so for the YFZ.. i NEVER hurt anything on my DS in 3 years of riding the hell out of it.... First weekend on the YFZ.. (ITS BRAND NEW)... blew a front tire off the bead, broke the rear plastic, blew out the waterpump gasket(hope thats it).. havent tore it down yet.. but it just started sprayin antifreeze all over.. these engine are full out..and ill expect to be rebuilding and maintaining it on a yearly basis... but thats cool.. thats my hobby.. for some people that would be a big no thanks.. it was a little sad to be rolling from the dunes a 4pm on sunday while all my friends were staying till dark cause i broke.. and there all ridin 80s models(250rs)... but theres not a one of them who wouldnt trade me.. they loved it to.. i let two of my good friends ride it.. and one( a skeptic).. who races mx 250rs.. got about 20ft from camp and went wide open 2nd gear.. .. He flipped it over backwords.. i was a little peved but did more damage than that as the weekend went on.......Bottom line is its one fast bike with high maintence..
check my gallery.. i just added a pic so it might take a minute for it to get aproved my the mods
Jetjock16

Old 03-29-2004, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok guys heres what ya wanted to know.......the DS compared to the YFZ.. from the horses mouth

Good report. I too would like one. Not to replace anything I now have. But just to add to it.

Old 03-29-2004, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

I have had a lot of seat time on my dads yfz450 trails and track and I do not agree at all, but to each his own. I like the motor better in the honda but the yfz handles better. either way I woulden't waste my money on either one.

Old 03-29-2004, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, Id agree with you also. No replacing my DS, but it would be fun to have a Yami to play with, jumping and MX racing. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-30-2004, 12:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

We added the honda 450 to our quads last week. My son loved it but it felt too small for me. I was shocked how fast it was stock.

Old 03-30-2004, 12:11 AM
Range Rover

We were at Glamis this weekend, had 2 DS's, one stock, one with Trinity pipe and 15 tooth counter. 2 450r Honda's with HRC kit stock gearing. 2 Yamaha 450's, one stock, the other with the GYTR slip. All bikes had 20" tires various types of paddles. Different riders all different size and shapes. We were running China Wall. After all the mixing it up with different riders the Honda's cleaned house. The DS and the Yamaha's both could pull 3rd gear all the way up, and the Honda only second, but it could pull the Yammy by a couple of bike lengths, and the DS's were last. Dune riding though, the DS's did shine. Just letting you guys know what happened for us, in our group. In no way am I bagging on any off the 3 bikes we all had a blast. By the way, the only bike in need of a repair the whole weekend was one of the Yamahas had a big oil leak.

Old 03-30-2004, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

I would cut my frickin nuts off to have either 450 quad.... honda or yamaha.....

Old 03-30-2004, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

You cut your nutz off and I will buy you one!

Old 03-30-2004, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 03-30-2004, 01:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Good report.

I think my buddy's wife had that coolant leak thing too. She also had the oil plug blow out of the head (the one that goes where the de-compression pull is on my YZ426F Dirtbike is. I strongly suggest keeping an extra one of these plugs in your spare parts bin. Would be a bad way to cut a trip short.

The YFZ's are fast out of the box but, it does seem it will come at a cost from what I have seen so far.

Jetjock, I think you got the right bike for your riding. Congrats on your new ride.

Quick Reply: ok guys heres what ya wanted to know.......the DS compared to the YFZ.. from the horses mouth