CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ds650

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ds650

how are these machines? do they hold up well and last long? what are it's weak and strong points and what are the 'known' problems with these quads?

Old 04-15-2004, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider
Default ds650

I have had mine for just about 6 months now, and I love it, it's fast and comfortable and all that good stuff. The weak points I have found so far:

The axle bearings
Replaced shifting forks once already
Battery
You will never keep a taillight in there, the brake light keeps up, but the taillight burns out. This can probibly be solved with a stronger bulb, but i'm lazy
Nerf bars on the X package are weak, the welds up front break easily
other than that, she's a beaut. So maintain it properly, repack the bearings, and you should be fine.

Old 04-15-2004, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ds650

I have had mine for about 1 1/2 years and havent had any trouble out of it except the fan. But mine is a 2001 and that was a bad year for the fans, but they have upgraded and made them better. The new ones i heard are alot lighter and faster than the older ones (stock). If u are considering on getting one u wont go wrong. It will be the most comfortable and smoothest ride u will ever get on and ride. If i where to get another bike it would deffintely be the DS650. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Lance

Old 04-15-2004, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default ds650

thanks - but i ride mainly woods and pipeline. but they are a sick sounding and looking machine!

Old 04-15-2004, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default ds650

I bought my 01 new in 01 and have 3800 miles on it. The only thing I have had to replace is the chain roller. Best atv I have ever owned. I think you would be very happy with one.

Old 04-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default ds650

there as good or better than the honda 400 i have

Old 04-15-2004, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default ds650

It is heavier than any other sport quad, except for the V-Force. It is as fast or faster than anything in stock form. It is more comfortable to ride than any other sport, except maybe the V-Force. It is more dependable than anything else out there. The ROTAX engine is the same as used in BMW's F-650 Dual Sport. A few have bent shift forks, I suspect pilot abuse, like not using their clutch to shift. I am on my third DS. First a 2001, which needed lots of mods, and a fan, then an '02 Baja, now a Baja X. I run a modded end cap and no air box lid with stock jetting at 6,000+ ft elevation, carbon fiber shrouds. I have changed tires, both front and rear Ohtsus got skewered by sticks and rocks. 23"xcts in front and 22" Maxxi 6 ply in back.

There is simply nothing else like it. It has comfort, speed, handling, power, durability. I am 49 years old, 6' tall, 220 lbs. If I were a kid, like my kid, age 15, I would want a lighter more agile, more jumpable machine. I recently rode a YFZ and was very impressed, but I still prefer the X. Fat old fart that I am.

Old 04-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Trailblazer
Default ds650

Originally posted by: orky4969
thanks - but i ride mainly woods and pipeline. but they are a sick sounding and looking machine!
I have had mine for 10 months. Last year i mainly rode the pipeline and The dusty trails ATV trails in Oconto Wisconsin. I love it. Only issues i really had: Bought a used 2000 DS, was abused, ball joints never saw any grease, lower ones are still on it, but soon to be resolved. The bike was twitchey and scarry, till i Put adjustable upper A-arms on it and set the alignment and ride height properly. Now its great. Rear axle bearings were never greased, are being replaced as we speak. Started hard cold, Valve lash was way off (noisy). One was loose, 2 were tight, one was within spec. Again lack of maintenance from previous owner. After resloving the valve lash, the hard starting problem disapeared....

Just rode at tigetton wisconsin ATV MX track last weekend. On stock suspension, I can drive like a madman and it doesnt bottom out, but the landings there are mild. I am putting on a stearing stabalizer so i can stiffen the front spring preload a bit and not get beat to death on the choppy stuf at the track in 4th gear. Thats moving! Hard to hold the bars in that one section when going that fast if suspension is set to stiff. Im sure my alignment could be a little better fine tuned as well..

Like 'TheChosenOne' says "maintain it properly, repack the bearings, and you should be fine." All the real issues with mine were due to lack of maintenance....

I love ridding in the woods, as well as on MX tracks. It doesnt have reverse, but You learn to get by......

When you get used to the power, slap a MR HP endcap on it, And a CDI box, rejet the carb a tad, and WHAM! Much faster!

I'm obsessed with my DS. Ask my wife...... Ask my friends....... I sold my pride and joy 150 MPH 21 PSI turbo EFI project car of 10 years to finance my ATV's and trailer and accessories......

Ive never regreted it yet........

Cant wait till saturday to go blast the track again and wast that shinny new green KFX700!

Old 05-03-2004, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default ds650

hey i was wondering...im 5'8' 150 ill be alright on the DS wont i...ive rode the kfx700 and the weight and the fact that its big doesnt bother me one bit...plus im 14 and still growing

Old 05-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default ds650

the wife rides a ds she does fine

Quick Reply: ds650