CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS-650 Battery Not Staying Charged

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 05:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS-650 Battery Not Staying Charged

Would like to say hello to everyone. I recently purchased a 2000 DS-650 and I need some advice/help.

This weekend, after riding for a couple hours I parked the atv, came back out an hour or so later and the battery was dead, the battery is only 3 weeks. I charged the battery and the same thing happened again.

I pulled out my shop manual, and began diagnosing the situation. In the shop manual its says to check for current thru the postive battery cable with the motor running, book says there should be about 5 amps, mine regisitered 0. Which leads me to believe that I did not check it properly.

I moved on to test the voltage across the battery with it running and have 11.5 volts.

I moved on to the magneto/stator. I checked the resistance of the three yellow wires and I have .6-.7 ohms, book says .5 max.

I then measured the output voltage and have 24.5 Vac. Book calls for 10-12.

I am assuming that the magneto has gone bad, and that the voltage regulator is ok, my question is how difficult is it to replace the magento in this particular machine, from the shop manual it looks fairly involved.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Old 04-18-2004, 05:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I had a new battery go bad in about 3 weeks also.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 04-19-2004, 04:09 AM
Range Rover

I had three battery's go bad in 20 hrs riding ...two different bikes ..... changed the regulator on one ...fine since then ...and on the other i put in a hondas 400ex battery (smaller) with some thick dense foam around it and it has gone great ever since........ seems one bike has a bit more vibration than the other .???

took a lot of trying to sort out though !!

Old 04-19-2004, 06:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

according to faq.f650.com, Gel cells don't take a full charge until you exceed 14 volts!

Old 04-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I get 24VAC too. The 10-12VAC spec is the MINIMUM. The stator sounds fine.

Old 04-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

Most likely you have a defective battery. My new 04 Baja X came with a defective Battery. This happens occasionally. I replaced it and it is now fine. Also, if your rectifier is bad, you may not charge battery. I saw one on ebay for a pretty reasonable price recently. I doubt your magneto is the problem. Hope this helps.

Old 04-20-2004, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

On that note, its at a good price too of 49.95 now with no bidders. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] No, Im not the seller. But search by "Bombardier Rectifier". FYI.

Old 04-20-2004, 02:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

something wrong with the wiring/connectors could also cause problems, i.e. high resistance due to rust or dirt on pins, or loose connections.

Old 04-20-2004, 07:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well I just fixed my charging problem!

What I found is the wiring harness is poorly made. The wiring from the rectifier output to the battery terminals has some small resistance which causes a voltage drop. The rectifier was putting out 14.15V at idle at the rectifier wires close to the casing of the rectifier. At the battery terminals I was only getting 13.4V.

So to solve the problem, I simply wired my own connection for the rectifier output directly to the battery with 12 gauge wire as short in length as possible. Pepboys has the mating 2-pin weathertite connector.

After adding my simple wiring, I get 13.8V across the battery terminals at idle. At 3500RPM I get 14.2V!!! I even get 14.2V with a heavy current draw from accessories and electronics. And when I shut the DS off, the battery terminals were at 13.94V, now that's a charged battery!!

I think my battery problems are gone as long as I keep the battery charged when it sits.

Old 04-21-2004, 02:53 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSXBEAR
Most likely you have a defective battery. My new 04 Baja X came with a defective Battery. This happens occasionally. I replaced it and it is now fine. Also, if your rectifier is bad, you may not charge battery. I saw one on ebay for a pretty reasonable price recently. I doubt your magneto is the problem. Hope this helps.

Actually, very rarely is the battery just bad. The battery can go bad because it was damaged via mis-handling, but most likely there is a problem with your bike.

get your self a volt meter.

to test your charging system, you have to make sure you have a fully charged battery installed. Start the quad and check the voltage at idle and around 3500 rpm's. As scooby stated, you should see over 13v at idle, and somewhere above 14v at 3500 rpm. If it's above 15v you probably have a problem with your voltage regulater/rectifier. If it's low, then there is a problem with the charging circuit. (there's lots of good info on this board on this, a quick search should result in more info then you ever wanted to know)

Whether or not your getting a good charge, it's a good idea to check for a short also. A low resistance short may not keep the battery from charging, but it will drain the battery starting when you shut off the quad.

you can use a volt meter or a 12v test light.

with the key off, disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery and attach the volt meter or test light between the battery and the cable. If you see any voltage here , you have a short somewhere in the system. If that's the case, then you just need to trace that down.

You may have a similar problem as Scooby also. A voltage drop test would verify this.

One other quick area to check. if your quad has been through some water, or you have pressure washed it at the car wash, the temperature switch for the fan is positioned such that it can collect water inside the switch if it's not sealed properly. Water in here will eventually lead to a short to ground within the switch. This can be a direct short that drains your battery within hours, or it could be a high resistance short that takes a week to drain the battery. To test disconnect the leads from the switch, and check with your ohm meter between each terminal and ground (the engine). The temperature switch is the one with two spade connectors on the coolant manafold on the right side of the cylinder (throttle side). If you get anything but infinate resistance, between the terminal and ground, the switch is bad.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: DS-650 Battery Not Staying Charged