CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Where to get a high output stator? I want more light!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to get a high output stator? I want more light!

I've been thinking that I want a lot more light on my baja for those night rides, and have already maxed out my stator with my current setup. Has anybody ever ran a high output stator? or dode anybody make on or do a rewind? I'm not sure where to start on this one any help would be great.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 04-28-2004, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

I would think our stator is more then adequate. If you go with a higher output stator, will it put more strain on the engine? What I would do is go with all HID lights. You could run 5 HID lights and out have a draw of 175w. I would run an H4 HID conversion for the main bulb, there is a kit from the HID Store and the price keeps dropping. That will give you 165w of light for only 37w draw. I notice you currently have Lazer Star lights, I assume they are an aux. light like the Baja lights. Laser Star make a HID lights that draw 50w each and put out 100w and claim a 500,000 Candlepower. A cheaper route would be go with Trail Tech, although I believe Laser star makes a better quality product. Trail Tech makes small HID light 24w draw and 75w output. Another option is to add a light to your helmet, that way you can light up the area where u are looking, check out Lead Dog Helemt light. I have seen better helmet lights out there, but can't find a link. Some of them where HID.

As you can tell I think HID is the way to go. The down side is price, but its probably cheaper then a rewound stator. Other down side to hid is you have to find a place to mount the ballast/starter box.

Old 04-28-2004, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

Forgot to ask, what is your current setup? I run a H4 Xenon blub 55/100w main, and 2 H3 Xenon 55w baja lights. Its a cheap route, but my light output is better then ~90% of the quads out there.

Old 04-28-2004, 03:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

some DS's have poor wiring from the rectifier output to the battery positive terminal - there is some small resistance. this causes a voltage drop at the battery so you don't get the full charging of 14.2V out of the stock charging system. you can simply wire you own 12 gauge connections to the battery terminals. the mating weathertite connector is available at pepboys. i think you can draw 20amps total from the system. you might be able to wire the F650GS 400Watt rectifier to give you a few more amps with stock stator.

faq.f650.com

Old 04-28-2004, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

I'm running stock lights and 2-50w lazer star lights on the handle bars. It dose OK but I want some light that people go wow! what the he$$ is coming? I like riding at night and it dose not matter how much power you have when you can't see it makes it real scary to get going fast. I would like to see if I can mount one of those buggy setups, have a removable unit that sits up on the bumper to use at night and run all the power directly off of the battery. but still leave the existing light set up intact. I might be able to do it if I run one of those high power dry cell oddsye (spelling) batteries. Just poking around for ideas to get a good setup. thanks for all the feedback so far.

Tom

Old 04-28-2004, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

Does the size of the light housing matter? I know Lazer Star offers there HID lights in spot or flood light version. The problem with the big desert lights is there is no way to really protect them, a simple rollover would destroy them, I don't think the cage around them would really help much either. With the small billet lights, you can tuck them close to the frame or bumper.

Old 04-28-2004, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

Extra lights are definetly good, but I have a helmet light and man does it prove worthy.

It puts the light right where I need it. Lightweight and inexpensive.