CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

E-RAM SUPERCHARGER

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-RAM SUPERCHARGER

So basically since it's WFO or nothing. Jetting would be way too rich if one wants too be properly jetted just cruising. If the E-ram would spool up as rpm's raised one could adjust the carb for trail riding and dragging. Could probably go home and make something like that for less than $50.
Gary

Old 04-29-2004, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

I'm sure someone could do it. For me, it was simply easier to set up my auxiliary fuel injection system to the same specs as my main jets using a fuel pump regulated to 5psi (only needs to be higher than the E-ram 1-2 psi) and directing the spray into the carb intakes. My E-ram only comes on at WOT. So when I'm just dunin' it, it's off and my carbs operate normally and the fuel injection is shutdown (solenoid operated and all by my thumb throttle and a plunger microswitch). More Later.....

Old 04-29-2004, 02:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: afterburner
So when I'm just dunin' it, it's off and my carbs operate normally and the fuel injection is shutdown (solenoid operated and all by my thumb throttle and a plunger microswitch). More Later.....
I see....sounds like a good set-up. So what type of FI set-up are you using? Are you still using the stock air box?
Gary

Old 04-29-2004, 02:45 PM
Trailblazer

Couldn't you just put the e-ram between the carb, and head. That way the fan will create a vaccum through the carbs and drawl more fuel out of the carb to compensate for the boost? This is how it is done in automotive applications.

Old 04-29-2004, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

it's a piece of junk and a rip off. theres no way it could produce enough boost to do any good unless the blades have some extreme pitch on them and are spinning very high, like 15 or 20,000 rpms. to turn a heavy pitched blade that fast you would need a strong motor and to run it on 12vdc it would be about the size of a coffee can. a boy here in town bought one for his chevy truck and even put a supercharged sticker on the front fenders. well the stickers probably gave him more hp gain than that piece of crap did. i don't think it made the truck run any worse but it sure didn't boost the power any. stay away from them. just use that money on a good pipe or other mods. you'll get more gain by modding your intake system with match porting and a good filter.

Old 04-29-2004, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

You can't with the E-ram. It has exposed motor windings that could ignite the atomized fuel/air mixture. Traditional superchargers work that way, but since they're mechanically driven, it's not an issue. As for the question about my injection system, it's pretty simple. I took my existing NX Nos fuel pump and tee'd off a line to two 8 inch stainless tubes. At the ends, I tapped them to accept jets. I chose to use the same jets as my carb's mains. So, my left carb is injected with a 170 main and the right with a 175 main. My E-ram is mounted under the K&N in the wall of the airbox. I used to run with an open lid, but had to put it back on for the E-ram. The opening of the e-ram and the original snorkel opening allows the same amount of air as with the lid off. As for the snorkel, I put in a hinged flapper so when the e-ram comes on, it closes the snorkel. So, in a nutshell, the E-ram pressurizes the airbos and the carbs shutdown because the pressure won't allow the fuel to leave the bowls, but the injection system comes on with the same amount of fuel. I probably need to run richer for the added air, but I won't know that till I get on the Dyno next week at DTR Racing again. The beauty of my injection system is that I can change jets at will.

Old 04-29-2004, 03:46 PM
sam
Pro Rider

OK aftreburner I dont know if any one else is curious but I am, can you post some picks of this beast?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-29-2004, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

i e-maild the and this is what they said

Hello Dennis,

Thank you for your interest in the e-RAM Electric Supercharger.

We are currently working with a partner on development of a special kit for
ATV's and have gone through several rounds of dyno tests to work out the
details.

We are currently trying to overcome an issue with the carburetors on the ATV
shutting down fuel delivery when the intake is pressurized by the e-RAM.
Since the carburetors work by providing fuel delivery based on vacuum, when
the vacuum is turned to pressure from e-RAM activation, the carb stops
delivering fuel because there is no longer any vacuum in the system. Dyno
showed a large HP spike at the beginning of the e-RAM activation, then the
carbs shut down, so we believe when we work around this issue, there is a
good chance we will get at least 3-4 HP & Torque gain when added to an ATV
intake. We are testing an auxiliary fuel jetting system that activates when
the e-RAM activates to provide the appropriate atomized fuel delivery when
the e-RAM is energized, and we expect to have something worked out within
the next month or two.

If and when our development is complete, Alba Action is the company who will
be offering the kit, but we are working with an independent product
developer, so our development may be able to be shared with other companies
concentrating on other ATV brands.

I am not sure what the scope of our relationship with Alba Action will be,
so could you tell me a little about the models of ATV's you wish to go
after? There may be room for additional players in this market focusing on
different brands of ATV's.

Old 04-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider

interesting?

Old 04-29-2004, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

So if the problem is with vaccuum signal to the carb, couldn't a DS owner mount one of these units between the airbox and the stock carb, since the vaccuum tube goes back next to the airbox?
Don't the TM and Lectron carbs not rely on vaccuum signal?

Quick Reply: E-RAM SUPERCHARGER