CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

sank atv, scared that i hurt soemthing

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 07:35 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sank atv, scared that i hurt soemthing

today while i was riding i sank the back of my quad in water. i was leaning back so the front was higher in the air and the back sank into the muddy water. the front was only up to the bottom of the seat so i knwo the snorkel didnt suck in any water. my problem is that the muffler was completely underwater. stupid me turned the quad off thinking that was the best thing to do. anyways my buddy towed me out with his winch. i went to start it and it didnt start. He told me to hold the throttle pinned. it took a few tries but it eventually started. when we first tried to start it a lot of water shot out the muffler. After we got it started i revved it so all the water came out of the muffler. My buddy told me when we got to an open stretch to open it up. After i sunk the quad we drove for about another hour or so. The quad sounded fine and ran fine. didnt backfire or sputter or anything. The guy i was with said that because i turned it off the water got inside my muffler and thats why it was shooting out. I should of never turned it off he said, but after we got it started and shot all the water out of the muffler that was it. He also said that the water probably didnt go any farther thenthe muffler. I was told to check the oil and make sure it wasnt white and foamy and if it was i was to change the oil immediatly. The oil looked and smelled fine. He said the quad was fine but im just nervous. anyone think im good to go?

Old 05-02-2004, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

i would also clean the carb. my friend flipped his blaster into a creek so it was upside down in a creek it doesnt work to this day

Old 05-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Range Rover

i thought there was no way for water to get into the carb unless it goes through the airbox or the snorkel? The quad ran fine for the rest of the day. i know the carb was underwater, but my buddy said that if i got water in the carb the motor wouldnt start up again cause the water would of got intot he cylinder and locked up the motor.

Old 05-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

Check the oil, and you should be fine. As long as it runs good you probably didn't suck water all the way into the motor. If you had done that it would be bad. You will want to grease the swingarm pivot bolt at the front of the swingarm and tear apart the carrier to get all the water out. Other than that you should be okay.

Justin

Old 05-02-2004, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer

yeah my friend sunk my 2001 traxter over the bars for about 20min under water....yeah changed oil 15 times and 8 sets of plugs before it got running better again....soo u should be fine with urs.....pain in the ***

Old 05-02-2004, 11:52 PM
Range Rover

is tearing apart the carrier necessery? that sounds like a pain in the b*lls.

Old 05-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider

i'd worry about the oil the most, good change will help a lot.

Old 05-03-2004, 10:47 AM
Range Rover

about 30 minutes after it happened i checked the oil and the oil was fine. no milky color, no foaming and no odd smell.

jeff