CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

LITTLE SAHARA OR KERMIT TEXAS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004 | 03:17 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default LITTLE SAHARA OR KERMIT TEXAS?

we have gone down to little sahara 2 times a year now for about 4 years , and i would like to try another dune area. i heard about kermit ( if thats how it is spelled?) what is this place like? is it bigger than sahara? given the choice which would you go to? pro's and con's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2004 | 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

We have been to Little Sahara about 10 times. A couple of a weeks ago we went to Kermit for the first time.We had a blast!Its a secret of Texas that every one that loves sand should try atleast once.Unlike Little Sahara,there are no stores at the Kermit dunes but,they(shhhhhh) dont charge to ride and the dunes are vast.Lots of room to explore.The sand is deeper and finer at Kermit and the winds can blow but its a great sand dune area.At Little Sahara the sand is rutted bad on weeek ends,butt Kermit was smooth as silk.Great sand bowls,and the hills are every where.All the stores and a couple of motels are 10 miles away in kermit.There are no hook ups but there is a parking lot that every one camps on.We had fun and will be going back soon.If you get a chance,go.

Old 05-06-2004 | 11:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Jeffroe- To me kermitt is the place to ride and little sahara is the place to watch/race. You can easily ride 150 plus miles in a weekend at kermitt compared to 10 or less at little sahara. Every square inch of sand is always rutted when i am at little sahara. You will find 1000's of arces of fresh sand at kermitt. No hook-ups or restrooms at kermitt. The town is 10 miles away. 2 hotels ( about 50 a night) and a few choices for eating. (pizza hut, subay, sonic etc) There is a very good strech of dunes at kermitt. They are about the same height but they are steeper and more of them at kermitt.

I will be there on may 15th (kermitt)

Old 05-06-2004 | 11:43 PM
Trailblazer

My group has been thinking the same way we would like to try another dune area. Does kermit have about the same size dunes? Do they have trails like little sahara? Is there always room to camp?What is the best time to go? Do they dune year around? We have been going to L/S for several years maybe 15 weekends a year we need a little switch

mike

Old 05-07-2004 | 12:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Sandcrazy- There is a perimiter trail. It is about 16 miles long i think, IMO the hills are better at kermitt. From my front door it is 350 miles to kermitt and it is also 350 miles to little sahara. To me i still worry a little bit about getting lost at kermitt. No worries at little sahara, just ride 5 minutes to a fence and follow it back.

Old 05-07-2004 | 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

i go to Kermit twice a month.. ill be going may 23rd and memorial day weekend and would love to show anyone off the boards around.. check my gallery for what my truck and trailer look like.. come by and say high.. names "Rob".... Anyway ive never been to lil sahara OK, but everyone at kermit i meet who has says Kermit is better!... once a year i make a trip to Oregon dunes and Glamis... Glamis for riding.. family in Oregon.. but we take the quads... Anyway Kermit is better than anything Oregon has to offer... it is very similiar to Glamis in sand make, and form.. just about 1/4 scale... Its a Blast!! Memorial day weekend there will be over 100 RVs and a 1000 people.. .its a small crowd but a fun one.. It would be great to meet any of ya and you could bring back stories of how my new toy put down your DS!... just kiddin!! my new 450 is fast..... on the drags its about equal to what my DS was... You guys should make it if you can.. i am 250 miles away and try to make it 2 times a month!

PS, i think i have a pic or two with Kermit dunes in the background of my gallery pics.. if i dont i get one uploaded now..
Rob.

Old 05-07-2004 | 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Buttfungus you reading this? you going to be there either of those weekends? i gotta show ya the new bike!
Rob.

Old 05-07-2004 | 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

I will try to make it the 23rd rob but i dont know yet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Lance