CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ds 650 keeps running

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2000, 01:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone else was having trouble shuting off the ds. From what I have read in these forums my ds is a lemon. I have had 99% of all the problems I have read about. Now when I turn the key or kill switch off the ds keeps running for about 3 to 4 seconds. The head light and neutral light stay on then after a few seconds the motor slowly shuts off. When this happens the head light dims lower and lower until the motor stops. I can use any adive I can get since the dealer here in Las Vegas (DESERT MOTOR SPORTS) have no ideal how to work on a ds let alone anything with a motor.

Old 07-29-2000, 03:16 AM
Pro Rider

Some simple things I can think of would be: Predetonation from a really low octane fuel causing "dieseling" or run-on. A really lean fuel mixture (mods w/o rejetting, leaking intake), causing the motor to run excessively hot, thereby causing the aforementioned dieseling. Last, running really high octane gas without the need for it; causing unburnt fuel to slowly deposit on the cylinder head and thereby increasing the compression to a point where dieseling would occur (this would take quite a long time to develop, just thought I would mention it). With the problems listed above, the quad would usually die in fits of stumbling. I've never really heard too much about single cylinder engines dieseling though, a little too light on the flywheel; so I'm probably barking up the wrong tree.

Also, it could very well be that you're lean in the idle circuit or your idle is set high, causing a high idle, thereby causing a longer wait time until the engine revs down completely.

Then again, I'm not familiar with the ds, so it could be some quirky wiring thing gone wrong, etc. You didn't state above what happens between the time (3-4 seconds) you turn the key off and it kills. Does it run like you never turned off the key? If so, seems like it would be a bad wiring connection.

ogre

Old 07-29-2000, 11:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have the same problem, but it doesn't happen everytime I shut off the DS. I have this problem with both the stock CDI box and the Ron Woods CDI box. It is very strange to say the least.

Old 07-29-2000, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

More info
The ds keeps running but does not change idle speed or smoothness. It just seems like the key or kill switch have no effect at all for a few seconds. This also happens every time I shut it off, hot or cold so I don't think heat has any thing to do with it. By the way this just started. But I'm worried about taking it to my dealer. Last time they changed my clip postion on my jet needle they lost the little spring that puts pressure on the jet needle. Three weeks later the part gets here. Also two days after my ten hour service my clutch went out. And I still can't figure out the oil light. I tried bleeding the system and that worked the next day the light is back on. Repeated bleeding the oil system light came on next day again. I hope I don't have to bleed it every time I want to ride it.
Also my dealer has my carb all messed up. I ordered the service manual but like every thing else it's going to take a while to get.
Could some one please e-mail me any info they have on the carb. And or copies of the carburetor pages out of the service manual.
I live in Las Vegas elevation about 2100 ft.
Any tips E mail me at patsds650@yahoo.com

Old 07-29-2000, 11:20 PM
Range Rover

I have the same problem. It tries to run for an extra second or two.It didn't make it better or worse when I put my Ron Wood box on. It manly does it when its been running alot.

Old 07-31-2000, 01:55 AM
Trailblazer

its not in the carb. i put a switch on the hot side of the coils. the switch killed it every time. the key 1 out 10 acted up. never found the problem.

Old 08-01-2000, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe the coils are building up a charge and this keeps it running after the ignition has been turned off. I have had this problem a couple of times myself.

Old 08-01-2000, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

Man all new quad manufacturers should call you guys up for test riders/durability testers... if they can make a quad that could stand up to your guys abuse it should last forever. Sorry to hear about your lemon Scooby... I'd be pissed off and make them take the thing back and give me a new one with one heck of an extended warranty

Old 08-01-2000, 06:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I wonder if the same problem is affecting my tachometer when I shut the DS off? The tachometer reads a random value when the DS shuts off, which annoys me. It can be pegged beyond full scale, pegged beyond zero scale, or any RPM inbetween.

I wonder if this problem has something to do with bad coil grounding?

Old 08-02-2000, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

Bad grounding may very well be the problem. I wish I remembered my electronics better from high school. I would hook up a meter to the coils and see what happens during starts and stops.

The ground would be a great place to start.

Laters,
CRT_Leech