CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Rear master cylinder help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 04:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear master cylinder help

Hi all, I have been reading these forums for several months and just want to thank everybody for all the time spent helping out other riders with these forums. I have not really had an issue or question that I could not find an answer to or some idea's about until now. This is my first post so here it goes.
I ride an '03 baja, over the weekend while catching some pretty good air time, I was pitched a little sideways off the top of a dune. trying to recover in the air, I got myself pretty much hanging over the right side of the Baja. Upon landing, the right rear tire hit first blowing it right off the bead. The tire is fine, the rim is fine but now I have no rear brakes. I'm thinking maybe I had my foot smashed on the rear brake pedal when I hit the ground, hitting the ground with the rear brakes locked. I'm not sure, but nothing else makes sense.
When you hit the rear brake pedal, you can barely feel the rear pads move with your finger. There is plenty of fluid, there are no leaks, if I loosen the line on the rear caliper and touch the brake pedal I get fluid. It's like it just won't build pressure. Is the rear master cylinder seals shot, would it be leaking, is it worth rebuilding or just buying new? Is there some sort of test I can do to make sure it is the master cylinder?
Not a real common problem I'm sure, but thanks in advance for any help.
You guys are great, keep it up.

Old 05-13-2004, 12:29 PM
Trailblazer

Nobody has any idea's, good or bad?

Old 05-13-2004, 01:07 PM
Range Rover
when your holding the football - people will throw evrything they can at you to strip it away .... including the waterboy at the end of the bench.

The first thing I would do is go through the proper bleeding of the brake system.

To make that job a little easier, I find that if you elevate the front of your bike slightly it helps in removing air pockets. And secondly, before you begin bleeding, push the piston into the caliper until it bottoms out. This will give the air (if there is any) less places to hide, and make the bleeding easier.

Old 05-14-2004, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer

Wow thanks for the onslot of reply's,I could barely read them all.......LOL
Forcefed......Thanks for the reply.... Ihad tried to bleed them once, but your response promted me to try it again. Still no luck. I pulled the master cylinder off and pulled the piston out of it to check the seals, problem found!!!!!
If anyone ever has a crash or another situation that has jammed the rear brake pedal hard, pull the rear master cylinder and check it. It seems the pedal had been smashed down hard and fast enough to force fluid on both sides of the front seal. Drained it, cleaned it and problem solved.

Old 05-14-2004, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

Chilicon, welcome to the forums!

The only problem I ever had with the rear brake was when I knocked the line off the master cylinder coming down the fingers at sand mountain[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] ya that coulda turned out ugly, anyways do you get down to the dunes much? Maybe we'll see you down there some time.

Old 05-14-2004, 01:35 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks Major.......I try to get to the dunes Sand Mountain or St. Anthony every other weekend. Mostly St. Anthony. With gas prices the way they are, it may be a little less this year. Last year we were at St. Anthony 9 times.