CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

best 22 inch rear tire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best 22 inch rear tire?

i installed the pro armor skid on my ds (only 1/4 inch difference between it and stock...) but i seem to be getting hung up quite a bit more... (probably because it has larger flat area...)

but anyway i was looking to get some new 22 inch rears to give me that extra inch on the trails.
What is a good long lasting cheap tire?
somthing probably in a razr/holeshot type format (nothing too heavy like mud type tires [sur traks/bear claws etc etc]) (i already have mud/snow tires so these would just be for grass/track/trails)

let me know what you guys run and what you think of them

Old 05-14-2004, 08:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have a pair of Knarly's in 22" extremely durable tire, you can run it flat if need be cuase the sidewalls are so stiff. i run 3psi on the trails for best traction. aggressive lugs, but they don't clean out as quick and easy as the Ohtsus that's for sure. okay in the snow too. Traction with these tires is not quite as good as an Ohtsu, but then again nothing is. I got them for same reasons you speak of - ground clearance, and durability on extreme rocky trails. the Kenda website says the actual diameter is 22.6", I measured mine on the bike with 4psi air they're 21.5".

Traction is good, but IMO the Holeshots are still king and prolly worth the extra money, but the kendas are really inexpensive considering what you get.

You'll wanna drop a tooth on the front sprocket for sure. i run 14/41 gearing, wonderful for trails and hill climbs, as well as dunes with 22" haulers.

Old 05-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

I just bought a pair of Pure Sport Bandit XCT's and they are one tough tire! Kevlar belted which is what I need with all the rocks here in Nevada. I run them backwards with 1.5 lbs and they do great in the sand! I recommend runninglower pressure cause the side wall are much stiifer than stockers.

Old 05-14-2004, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, I just bought a set of Bandit XCTs as well. They are the best trail tire there is for a DS650 in my opinion. Kind of silly that I already have the new tires, but I won't even pick up the new DS until June 13th [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2004, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

The more i think about it, the more i consider buying more of a mud/snow/trail tire.... (such as the bear claw..)
Reasons backing that is i already have Realtors (which i dont generally like to run on anything but snow so they dont get much use) so i could use my stock ohtsu's for general field riding, but when i was going to the badlands or wanted to do trail riding where Ground clearance is an issue, i could bolt up the beefier tires.

but the question is...which one... (im thinking this decision is going to mainly be placed by tire weight...)

I have experience with both sur traks and bear claws...sur traks arnt too heavy (2 ply and never had puncture problems) but bearclaws seem to be considerably heavier.... (anyone know weight/ply on them?)

anyone suggest somthing else?

i already run a 15 front, but i may end up going up a tooth in the rear to compensate for weight/and the 22's (i assume 15 in front and one tooth down in the rear would put me right at about stock with 22s on?)

**edit** just found out bear claws are 6 ply.... hmmm so maybe somthing 2 ply that is not a full on mud tire, but is still snow/muddy trail capable..

Old 05-15-2004, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

have you looked into mudlites?

Old 05-15-2004, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

im thinking that is too much tire if i wanted to do some regular riding on them too...
are they actually lite? (just a guess seing as how they put it in the name...lol) 2 plys?
sur traks will costm e 44 a tire

mud lites from rocky mountain are 45 a tire...but it shows them as 6 ply.... im really looking to go some what lite weight...as the realtors are beefy tires but im sure are 6 plys as they weigh a lot

Old 05-15-2004, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

well i know they're lighter than realtors, its been awhile since i've seen both in person, actually they were what i was thinking about getting for a normal riding tire once my excavators are completly worn off, actually those tires have lasted me quite a long time

Old 05-15-2004, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

I've used MudLites on a utility ATV. They ride good and provide great traction on a wide range of terrain, ... but, they tend to wear quite quickly IMO.

OL

Old 05-15-2004, 03:39 PM
Trailblazer

I run 22" holeshot xct and love them. Gives me the extra clearance. Set on Ebay right now. Nice thing is the 22" are avaialable on a 9" rim.

Quick Reply: best 22 inch rear tire?