CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

such a thing as QUIET power?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default such a thing as QUIET power?

more and more im hearing of places closing, with the biggest complaint being sound.
I ride almost half of the time in a semi-residential area (its kind-of in the country...but there are houses within 1/8 mile in some places)

i know there are about 10 pipes out there for the DS... anyone know the DB's any of them put out?
Ron woods (very loud )
white brothers (tuneable to be quiet, but i lost a lot of power when in stealth mode)
mbrp (ill just skip over this one so no one has to hear me complain)
HMF (currently own, with both SA and quiet core inserts) does anyone know how much HP and TQ u lose with the Quiet and SA cores in?)
Fmf powercore - dont know much about it
FMF TI-4 - dont know anything about it
Big Gun- all i know is it is LOUD
pro circuit t-4- the first DS 650 i test rode had this on it...seemed ok for noise, but that was way before any experience with any other exhaust.
alba pipe (ive heard them on raptors, and they seem to be pretty loud

im probably missing one or two...

anyone know which is the quietest? (excluding stock...lol)

the only DB limit i have to follow is at silver lake which is 96 or 97 DB (not that they check too often) but id like to go as quiet as possible.

Old 07-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

I have the FMF Power Core 4 and it is 101db. If you get the quiet core insert it drops it to 93db for places you need to be quieter. The insert is only $25.

Old 07-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

what does the quiet insert do to power?

i think the hmf with quietcore and SA is around 96? (anyone confirm?) but i dont know what the power loss is.

Old 07-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

It just so happens I did a db check on my FMF Ti 4 16inch can, with a spark arrestor tip it came to about 98. Stock Ds is around 90, with a moddified end cap about 95. My guess is the best bet for noise would be the dual LTE's? but I haven't seen an honest db check on those. By the way, Radio shack sell a db checker for $40 or so.

Old 07-06-2004, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

ya i knew about the RS tester (if no one has the DB on the hmf, i may go pick one up)
the lte's would be nice...but i think its only a couple HP and i beleive i saw it runs 93 or 96 DB but for 700 i think ill pass...lol

Old 07-07-2004, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

mystereid..so you say a moded end cap is only 95db? Can't imagine 100 plus reading, cause my billet end cap seems real loud to me..

Old 07-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

I feel the trinity does well for power, but it is very loud. A buddy of mine has the big gun and I think mine is louder than his, as do some other guys.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:08 AM
Range Rover

I have the Big Gun race exhaust, with the Qiuet core insert. IMO it's not really loud at all, it sounds good. I don't know the db level. before the quiet core it was extremely loud...

Old 07-07-2004, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

When I modded my end cap I didn't just GUT the thing out like everybody else does.....

See the pictures in my profile.

I put a reverse cone, a swirl type spark arrestor off a yamaha, and a set of baffles.
This end cap was dyno tested, and was good for an extra 4 hp. It did not have the low end torque of the open end cap, but was a big improvement over stock. It is louder than stock, but not much. It might pass the Oregon dunes 93 dB, but I am not sure. Oh, and it sounds really good, so much throatier and deeper than stock.

Oh yeah, it isn't pretty. I finally just painted it black. If I had used a piece of stainless tubing and stainless welded it, it could have been polished and looked pretty good, but,,,,,

Remember that the stock end cap is not chrome plated, it is polished stainless, which does leave open the possibility of making something that looks nice,,,,,,unless you are in a hurry like me.

Wide open end caps are a cheap shot at gaining a little extra power. If some legitimate manufacturer would dyno test and produce a replacement end cap for the DS, with a Forest Service approved spark arrestor and a decent sound,,,,they might sell a couple......

Old 07-08-2004, 06:56 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Dingo2, I'm not sure if you asked a question or? By modded end cap I mean leaving the stock tips and cutting the internal restrictors/ diffusers out. An open end cap or MR HP type should be in the 100db range.

Quick Reply: such a thing as QUIET power?