CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Is the Vortex CDI worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 11:46 PM
eRo
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Vortex CDI worth it?

if your wondering about procom..look at my signature

Old 08-15-2004, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

If its any help...i have the big gun (only bought it because i got it from ironrod for his cost of like 170 bucks, since he stopped carrying big gun)
I like it...didnt notice any power, but rev limiter is at somthing like 8300? (i rarely hit it, unless im shooting a huge dune)

i am still interested in the vortex...but am worried the power isnt worth the extra money? for those of you who have it and said you like it, have you run a different cdi? (besides stock) I was just afraid the "different" power curves would all feel the same.
Can you set one for "traction" then the other for "performance" (high rpm poweband right?) then drag with traction on, then once ur into like 3rd hit the power mode? (can you feel a difference?) that, and if it were really slippery out (be it snow/mud) i dont think i would adjust it too much.
Also who has the cheapest price for the vortex right now? last i saw it was 400 with a KN filter...

Old 08-15-2004, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

isnt it more like a procom is a big gun? thought the whole deal was, procom was making the cdi units FOR big gun (with thier curve and limit...) then procom started making there own with big guns curve (basically big guns cdi) i havnt found anyone with a problematic Big gun, but seems like the procoms are time bombs... (maybe they did somthing different when they started making thier own?)

anyway... for normal old rides, what do you set yours up at? (traction/power/other?) or do you always keep the traction as one preset, and power as the other?

Old 08-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

anyone with an 04 the rpm's are already close they are at 7900-8000 stock,

is it worth it for the the few extra rpm's

Old 08-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

bartlet,

i ride all trails and fields with a few smalls pits,
do you think the adjustable is worth it...or get a stationary one
or better yet none at all based on my riding style..

chris

Old 08-20-2004, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

The versatility of the Vortex is worth the extra money. They seem to be very reliable. However, there have been some wide variation in programming come through on our dyno. So, buy it from someone who will program it and guarantee it.

Old 08-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

if you want to make power at 10,000 RPM or higher the DS needs more ignition timing and the upper RPM retard has got to go. you can have the vortex programmed with custom curves.

Old 08-20-2004, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 222
The versatility of the Vortex is worth the extra money. They seem to be very reliable. However, there have been some wide variation in programming come through on our dyno. So, buy it from someone who will program it and guarantee it.

Is there any dealer that sells the Vortex that wont guarantee a Vortex? In my opinion, most riders will never need to reprogram thier Vortex. But, since we are both giving advice, I suggest that people shop around.

Folks need to know that if someone sells you a reprogram fee to move the rev limit up, the Vortex curve will no longer be there - it will have to be reprogrammed with a custom curve with the new rev limit - The curves and the rev limits are not the separate things that most people think. I do remember several posts in here that said there was no good power after 8700 rpm on a DS650. I suppose someone could build it to where that wasnt true, but for most people, I suspect they would be better off simply shifting to the next gear.

Old 08-20-2004, 10:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Does the Vortex come standard with the handlebar mount switch?

Old 08-20-2004, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

yes it does.

Quick Reply: Is the Vortex CDI worth it?