CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ti Moly Chain sprocket Conversion Kit by Sidewinder ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 07:43 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ti Moly Chain sprocket Conversion Kit by Sidewinder ?

What do u all think of the new conversion Kit Sidewinder is promoting in the latest Dirt Wheels ?

Would it really make extra Hp or does it just make the bike move forward a bit quicker ?? Lighter = faster etc .

cheers

Old 08-18-2004, 08:21 PM
amd
Pro Rider

I think it is a good idea and concept. I am sure it does free up some power that the motor already makes and loses through the chain and sprockets. The only thing I dont like about it is the price. $350.00. Other then that I think it is a nice kit

Old 08-18-2004, 10:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i was wondering how long the 520 sprockets would last?

Old 08-18-2004, 11:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Keep in mind that the article was probably written BY the manufacturer NOT Dirt Wheels! They probably paid as much as an ad price to get the "article" in the magazine.

Interesting article but, don't know if I believe everything.

Old 08-19-2004, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

they did say it was a lifetime warranty!! on the chain i think. looks like a good deal ill have it this winter. just something to add to the wish list.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2004, 03:51 PM
Range Rover

Some other people have tried it already, but I can't find that thread. I think the chain is not a problem, but the front sprocket is going to take some abuse and may have to be changed more often.

Old 08-19-2004, 04:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

you will shave more weight and be money ahead having a local mahcine shop turn your hubs, and buy an aluminum rear sprocket.
nothing can be guarenteed like that - guarenteed not to break yeah, but not guarenteed against wear. I've never broken a chain or sprocket, but I worn out many many.

i have their so called Ti-Moly chain - it weighs no less than regular chain, and the pins and rollers corrode just as easily as the carbon steel stocker. the link plates are nickel plated steel so they're nice - the guy on the phone will tell you "triple nickel plated" but that's industry standard, they say the pins and rollers are a titanium/chromoly alloy, but I really don't know if that's true considering what I said about the corrosion, I mean we all know how resistant titanium and chromoly both are to it, and if I don't take good care of mine after every single ride it'll look like **** just as quick as a $69 regina or DID.

I've done lots of rotating mass weight reduction, but I will stick with 530 chain and aluminum rear sprocket. JMO.

And that HP increase they claim? gimme a break man, I dropped 7 lbs. off my axle rotation and didn't see that much. definitely worth while to shed the weight, turning hubs, etc., but not quite all that.

Old 08-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

what part of the hub do you turn down?

Old 08-21-2004, 02:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

hub pics

2.000" on the round
.6750" spoke thickness
removed no metal from factory surface the rims bolt against

Old 08-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Hightower and anyone else doing this, I would suggest trying to radius or at least step up close to the flange. That is where the weak spot would be, especially on the axle side.
It's obvious that bomb designed their stock hubs with this in mind looking at how much metal they have rolling up to the flange. Bomb has redesigned the hubs and has shed some weight as the older ones were overkill.
I'm surprised you didn't have the new aluminum sproket carrier machined down before you put it on.
I took a look at the new Honda 450 rear hubs, those things are tiny and thin. I'll bet they don't weigh a sixth of what the old DS hubs weigh.
I know that the buzz word is less rotating weight, but it really should be less inertia or flywheel effect. The further from the center of rotation, the more important the weight becomes. This makes tires and wheels pretty much the most important followed by the rear sprocket. Has anyone seen these new aluminum wheels that are out now? Like mags for cars they are cast with a pattern but are extremely heavy. I wonder who is going to buy those and then wonder why their bike is such a slug?

Quick Reply: Ti Moly Chain sprocket Conversion Kit by Sidewinder ?