CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Aftermarket "Street Legal" Kits for DS650?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 03:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket "Street Legal" Kits for DS650?

Anybody know of any kits to make the DS650 street legal (light kits, horn, etc.?)?

Old 10-26-2004, 03:29 AM
Pro Rider

I camped last weekend at glamis with some people for AZ. They had two utility quads that they made street legal in AZ. All they added was a simple horn and a mirror. They also fabed a way to mount the AZ plate.

Adding a mirror to the DS would be real simple, just flip the back half of the clutch perch and you will find it is already threaded for a mirror. The guys in our group had some plastic mirrors that folded down when off roading. I was surprised they didn't need turn singles or anything like that.

Old 10-26-2004, 03:51 AM
Pro Rider

You only need to add a horn, mirrors, and a license plate light. The DS650 already has places in the lever perches to put mirrors, 10 mm I think. You do have to turn over the inside clutch lever perch to access the mirror mount.

You can find mirrros on the net or at a local ATV supply shop. I have found good used mirror at the Motorcycle Accessory shop on W. Main in Mesa. ( just west of Dobson Rd. on the south side) I got a horn for my DS650 off of e-bay. I still need to get a button to activate the horn. I'm wotking on obtaining a LED license plate frame.

Lastly, according to some LEOs, if you are riding on pavement you may need DOT approved tires. I'm still looking for street rated tires that fit on 10" rims that are 20+ inches in diameter. I found street rated DOT tires, rated to 100mph, for 10" rims, but they are only 17" tires. That would make the DS650 much lower in gear.

Old 10-26-2004, 03:56 AM
Pro Rider

I was surprised they didn't need turn singles or anything like that.

Nah, thats what you have arms for, giving turn signals. In Az, you can pretty much make anything street legal.

I do plan on fabricating a trick LED turn signal system for my DS650, as I will ride it around the streets of Mesa on weekends i'm not at the dunes. Heck, I paid too much for the quad not to ride it....

I would caution most people to research their local laws on street legal ATVs and do not rely on hearsay, even from LEOs, as few people know what is legal. (I do as I have extensively reasearched AZ ATV laws and I am a traffic LEO, so I am familiar with the traffic laws.)

Also, you need to be experienced and careful when riding on the pavement with most ATVs. They don't handle very well in turns and you need to get use to how the ATV reacts on the street, in case you have to make an emergency manuever.

Old 10-26-2004, 11:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a street legal DS here in the UK, it has horn, turn signals, street legal tyres, speedo etc. There are some phots on my page.

It does take a bit of getting used to riding on paved roads but you soon get used to it and its loads of fun!

Old 10-26-2004, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

My quad trailer has little 10" tires that look like they would go on an 8" wide wheel and they are DOT legal. I have thought about using them at the drag races[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

why not mount the plate on the rear plastic on the part that comes down just behind the taillight, the part that comes down for the toolkit, thats where i have mine

Old 10-28-2004, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: lilnotts
why not mount the plate on the rear plastic on the part that comes down just behind the taillight, the part that comes down for the toolkit, thats where i have mine
I have a 6-pack rack that will obscure part of the plate.

Does the stock taillight have a clear plastic section on the bottom to light the plate?

Az law requires a license plate light, even for day time riding. The light does not have to be lit, but it has to be there.

Old 10-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

street legal kit should be all there for ya

Old 10-28-2004, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

Hey AZSANDRIDER.. what kind of license is required?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket "Street Legal" Kits for DS650?