CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What coolant for the DS

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What coolant for the DS

yea i use engine ice, works nice, noticed my fan kickin on less

Old 11-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

I stand corrected...in a bind you can add water to engine ice even though the jug of engine ice says do not add water. Not only is it pre diluted so no need to add water but as described on there site. and also above by Dave. And now selected sections by me.

From the site:
Regardless if you are using tap, bottled, distilled, spring or R/O (reverse osmosis) waters, it can still contain minute particles of iron, magnesium, rust, lime and calcium. Many of these waters also contain chemicals, such as chlorine, fluorides and acids.

These minerals and chemicals are what is the cause the scarring, scaling and mineral build-ups in your cooling system. Many also attribute these minerals and chemicals to water pump seal and gasket failures.

This is why I think they say DO NOT ADD WATER.
But if your in a bind you can.

Old 11-09-2004, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

you can add water to engine, wen i used to have that in my ds thats what my brother had to do wen a rad line blew on him, i think it did lower the temps a bit, but wouldn't buy it again, i'll stick with the good ol prestone, especially if i ever blow a line when i'm out on the river or somethin, everybodys got prestone

Old 11-11-2004, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

Well I went to my dealer and another cycle shop and could not find the Engine Ice. I had a jug of Prestone and went with that. After I finished attaching the hoses, I filled the radiator 50/50. Then bumped the starter more than a few times. Then I gave it fire and started it. Ran it for a bit and shut it down. Cecked the coolant level and it was fine. I started it up w/out the cap and ran it until I saw circulation. Then I put the cap on and filled the little tank. After checking the oil, I went for a spin. This is the first time since the crash.
I wrote in another thread about the control arm. I might as well finish it up here.
Tonight I got everything in and tourqued to spec. (Lower control arm, tierods,and radiator hoses) I need new cotter pins! The tie rods came from the factory with the ends at the correct lengths!

After returning from my spin, I checked everything again, lubed the chain and locked her up. Then, I was looking at my shop manual and it says to take the temp sensor out when filling with coolant until it comes out of the hole. I DIDN"T DO THIS! Is it going to be alright? Should I do it now?
Then I also noticed the fan didn't come on. I checked the sensor wires and the one on the left was burned and the wire was broken. Has this ever happened to you? I will get a new connector tomorrow.
Now a new thread for the rear end.
Thanks you guys.