CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ds650 PIPE

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ds650 PIPE

I had a decible reading done on my DS. 91.8 This is after 1 year and two months of pretty hard riding. They had tested about 30 machines and mine was the quietest 4 stroke yet!
I saw somewhere on here where the factry end cap was modded. It looked good, too.

Old 12-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ds650 PIPE

mudnuri,
what exhaust do you have with that dB rating? That is very very quiet for a non-stock exhaust, and I think my DS makes more noise than that with the engine off, LOL. I tested my DS with a Radio Shack sound meter and got 98 dB at idle, and 130 dB at wide open throttle, with my HMF slip on exhaust.

I have been very happy with the HMF slip on, and this DS is the best running, best jetted ATV I have ever owned, and that includes over 20 different ATVs. I wouldn't say it is necesarily the most powerful I have ever owned, but it is easily the best running ATV ever. It has instantaneous right now throttle response, great torque, and a pretty good spread of power. Wheelies in first, second, or third gear are as easy as a stab of the throttle when you have traction, yet you can lugg the p i s s out of the motor on techical uphills and it still works great.

I beat a YFZ yesterday in two out of two drag races. I have an outerwear style airbox lid, an HMF slip on, and 22" Bandit XC rear tires; he has no airbox lid, a K&N, an HMF full system, and the stock YFZ Dunlop 20" radial tires. We were racing for 200' in soft damp sand, and I would simply pin the throttle on the starting line, and as soon as the engine bounced off the rev limiter I would dump the clutch in second gear. About 2/3 of the way through the race ground speed would catch up with tire speed, and I would make a quick shift into third gear, and then the race was over. My DS is geared tall compared to his YFZ (we both have stock gearing), and my second gear is actually the same as his third gear. His YFZ did not have enough torque to launch in third gear without bogging, so he spent more time shifting than I did. I think the torque the DS gained from the HMF slip on helped, because the last time we raced I had the stock exhaust (and we were both running paddle tires), and he won every race. It's kind of nice to have things go the other way for a change [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

OuterLimit