CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

possible 450 update

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible 450 update

Interestingly enough, I watched a documentary on the company, Bombardier, on the Discovery channel. Bomb is a vast company that dabbles in the atv industry. The info is of course not todays news, but the commentary did indicate that Bomb had not broke even on atv's yet. The documentary also indicated that Bomb may get out of the atv business. Anyone else watch the program? This has been several months back.

Old 12-21-2004, 10:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: garyc660R
Interestingly enough, I watched a documentary on the company, Bombardier, on the Discovery channel. Bomb is a vast company that dabbles in the atv industry. The info is of course not todays news, but the commentary did indicate that Bomb had not broke even on atv's yet. The documentary also indicated that Bomb may get out of the atv business. Anyone else watch the program? This has been several months back.
I'm curious if this was before the break up of the company...

Old 12-22-2004, 01:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garyc660R
The documentary also indicated that Bomb may get out of the atv business.
IMO, this seems highly unlikely. This is not typically the kind of PR any company lets out until it has decided for sure it will no longer produce something.

Old 12-22-2004, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HIPPY
I work for a bomb dealer and its true that you can't order any viper red ds'sI don't think they are going to quit making it. Its not costing them any money to keep it in production, the Quest 650 4x4 and the Traxter 4x4 might be hurting them though. They have done good with Outlander 400 4x4. I heard from my rep that theyare working on making the DS 650 it even lighter and with a reverse. The 450 is being tested at this moment. Hopefully soon they get it into production. I hope what my reptold me was 100% true because I think bombardier makes a great product.
I thought you said they would not put reverse on the DS. I told you they would after the Pred did. They would have to to survive. If it's true, they will have even more fat butts like me looking at them very hard.

Old 12-22-2004, 02:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Gary,

Any guess when that documentary was made? As far as I know Bombardier already got out of the ATV industry when they sold the recreational division to the Bombardier family and an investment company. That news of the transaction being final was a short while after the Baja X first came out (see how us Bombardier guys mark time - by model release!) which puts the news at about 1+ years old, meaning your documentary would have to have been at least a year or more older.

Now, if you will notice - one company is named Bombardier, and the other is Bombardier Recreational Products. Also I just noticed a slightly new logo, perhaps they are re-tooling for the new logo or something as well. All of this doesn't mean what you said was untrue, then or now, but just that I feel a lot has changed since they made that documentary.

In fact, there is a new website for the new company even - www.brp.com and on that site it says they made (as a whole, not broken up) 22.1 million in canadian dated January 31st, 2004 so I would have to assume that is for 2003.

Here is a link to the BRP "Organizational Structure"

http://www.brp.com/en-CA/Company/Our....Structure.htm

So they are now definately a different company and as to one division making or loosing money? I dunno where to find that info - I fix computers all day not sell them. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

I would say that a 450cc Bomb sport atv is at least 2 years out and it is highly unlikely that the 450 Aprilla will be used as it is physically much bigger than it appears in pictures and not really considered ideal for a quad. Also since Bomb has no base for a potent 450cc engine available out of any current models "Unlike Yamaha, Honda and now Suzuki" they will have to develop a completely new engine for the 450 which in itself takes a couple of years.
Have they tested some ideas?? Yes, but they aren't as far along as most would like to think. As for the DS, I think they are looking for ways to improve an aready proven model in a big way, so don't look for it to disappear anytime soon.
That's reinforced by the fact that Bombardier sent some reps down to Baja for the 1000, and with their 1st,3rd and 5th place finishes in the big race, and the SCORE offroad Championship in the bag as well, they are quite pleased with their creation.

P.S. Blackhawk, I like that you still have my old bouncing girl avatar showing her stuff.....well done!!

Old 12-22-2004, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!

Personally the idea of a 450 does not interest me. The 450 market is already flooded and will become even more flooded when Suziki releases theirs. I would rather see Bomb spend their time perfecting the DS even more. Reverse, factory EFI, and a diet would be welcome additions.

Old 12-22-2004, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider
To ATV Thieves: "Hope you guys flip and die douches!"

Wow, I would like to see a new rotax 450.

Old 12-22-2004, 05:39 PM
Trailblazer

Here is a link showing that BRP is making money and doing ok.
link

personally I’m a big guy that’s why I bought my DS. It fits me. If they do make a DS450
that would be great. But I would also like to see a DS990 in the line up. (see link)
they all ready have the motor and its 138 hp 6 sp gear box and efi. Sounds good to me.
(Click on engine models to see more info on it.)
link2

Old 12-22-2004, 06:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sorry, but a 990cc atv making 100hp wont make it into production in any of our lifetimes. Our utility atvs are reaching 800 cc and they are putting out about 50-60 hp before driveline losses.

Quick Reply: possible 450 update