CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ohlins Vs. Elka...Who really rules the whoops???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ohlins Vs. Elka...Who really rules the whoops???

What is the best suspension for woods riding....do alot of whoops and jumps....Looking at elka elite's or the high end ohlins...What's your opinion....All I do know is the factory suspension is terrible man...tooo rough not enough of softness to it....Let me know what ya think...

Old 01-03-2005, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think you can go wrong with either the elka or the ohlins.

I think the factory suspesion is great, at least when you compare it to other stock quads. Ride a stock YFZ450 and you will know what I mean!

Old 01-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

Yea...it is soo rough compared to my polaris 800.....

Old 01-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

Have you adjusted your shocks preload/sag to your weight? You don't hear too many complaints that the DS suspension is too stiff

Old 01-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

probably not....my dealer was suposed to do it when I bought but I have no idea how to do it......

Old 01-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

Your dealer didn't do it; he has no idea how to do it either (at least not without you there to sit on the ATV while he is adjusting it for your weight).

I have had both Elka Elites and top of the line Ohlins on prior DS 650s, and I would say that for choppy rough ground that has small bumps on it the Elkas are a bit plusher. For big bumps (whoops) the Ohlins are better though.

OuterLimit.

Old 01-04-2005, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

What are the top line ohlins...and it does not look like they have dual and triple rate shocks according to their web site.....

Old 01-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

The Ohlins rear shocks are single rate, and front shocks are dual rate, so the Elkas have more springs if that is what you want. The Ohlins rear shock has low and high speed compression, and rebound adjustment. The front Ohlins are compression and rebound adjustable. Elka Elites have low and high speed compression, and rebound adjustment at both ends. I still thought the Elkas worked better for a casual pace and Ohlins worked better for race speed, even with less springs and clickers. Personally I think Ohlins has the internal damping figured out better, which is what is really important. The adjustment ***** on the shock are just to fine tune the suspension to your preferrance, but the internal damping has to be right to begin with.

TCS has the DS 650 figured out really well also, especially for desert racing (and there are whoops in the desert [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]).

Old 01-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

I am definately considering the elka elites.....quad rate fronts and triple rate rears....

Old 01-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because you are buying the most ridiculous shock with all of the features they offer doesnt mean you will be getting the best for your machine or riding style. Quadruple rates, for instance, are nearly pointless for anything but serious MX.

Quick Reply: Ohlins Vs. Elka...Who really rules the whoops???