CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ron Woods Stage 1 kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ron Woods Stage 1 kit

Must I change the carb if I switch to an aftermarket exhaust? and If I change the exhaust do I need to change the CDI as well?

Old 01-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

If you didnt, then you would be stage .25 or something like that! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2005, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

Very informative [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2005, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SCOUNDREL
Must I change the carb if I switch to an aftermarket exhaust? and If I change the exhaust do I need to change the CDI as well?
The carb like the exhaust would be an upgrade. Neither one is neede because of the other.
The CDI is also considered and upgrade and some feel needed because when you add the upgrades you will find yourself reving higher and the stock CDI has a faily low rev limit.

In southern California RWR will pre-jet for you. If you call them you'll be talking with Elliot most likely. Tell him the elevation that you ride it mostly. Make sure you tell him you want the pump activated. I also sugest you get the twist throttle. If not then PM Hightower for info on making the TM work easier with a thumb throttle.

Old 01-12-2005, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

IMO, I would always re-jet the carb if I change pipes, I also would go to a KN air filter or improved intake.
Think of it this way, you are changing the output with the pipe, so you need to adjust the input.
You could get by without changing the jet or airflow coming in...........but you would not be getting the max performance out of your pipe.

Thanks,
Chuck.

Old 01-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

For sure I totally agree...
I thought he was wondering if he needed to buy another carb if he got a new exhaust and if he also needed to buy a CDI because of one or all of this.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

SCOUNDREL,

You dont need to do anything. But you wouldn't be at stage one if you didnt at least have an aftermarket carb, aftermarket exhaut and CDI to at least raise the rev limit. Like others have mentioned, you can get them one at a time if you want. The stage one main component parts are not dependant on each other.

Old 01-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I purchased my 650 with the stage 1 kit installed and didn't get a chance to ride it before. I got an awesome deal on the quad and unless you are really into the performance thing, you can kiss that $1500 goodbye when you sell it. Although, it sure sounds powerful.

Old 01-12-2005, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

scoundrel i am running a stage 1 with mr hp parts except for the rev limiter. so i have a lectron 46hv carb, mr hp race port intake, mr hp end cap on the exhaust. after i installed i took my ds and had it put on a dyno. i noticed on the dyno result after peak power between 6000-7000 rpm range the power started to drop but it will scream up to the limiter, but if your not making as much power why run it there. so at this point i do not see a reason for rev limiter. but when i put in a high compression piston, cams, and port the head i will be putting one on. JMO[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2005, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

"Plan your build, build your plan." I would suggest first thinking about what kind of riding you do the most...unless you have aspirations of being a top ranked contender in the hill shooting or flat drags department, stick with bolt on stuff. You can spent a mint just in suspension, wheels and tires, and aftermarket bling. A carb, TM45 or HV46, exhaust, filter mod, and gearing will give you an excellent bang for the buck. You can do those things for under a grand.

Quick Reply: Ron Woods Stage 1 kit