CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Rear fender removal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear fender removal?

I realize many DS owners spend some time in the sand. I just purchased my DS and the rear fenders were cut almost to the seat, fronts I have but are off.

Why does everyone remove the fenders? Is it for looks, weight or does the roost play havoc on the rears? All the above?

I took mine out for the first time today in the mud (not really muddy.. kinda soft) and was beat to death by the mud/clay! This thing is getting rear fenders ordered tonight and the fronts re-installed. Man... I felt like I was sitting in turn one at dirt track with sprint cars roosting me....

It's all black now but am looking to do yellow rears and fascia. I will keep the black tank and fronts. The seat is mostly yellow with some black. Anyone have a color combo like this? I would really like to go 05 red and may do so, I would have to recover the seat in all black or half red.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Could'nt honestly tell you. My guess would be less wind resistence?

Old 01-23-2005, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

I think wind resistance is the real reason, especially for folks that drag hardcore. On the fronts I've heard folks say it's so they can see the front tires to maneuver around obstacles but I always ask how you can ride fast while looking 1 inch in front of your tire.....

Old 01-23-2005, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

I guess its the whole "race cut" appeal, but if ur not in the sand i think its pointless, like u said gettin hit wit mud hardcore, ive riden all other kindsa sport quads and none of them give u the protection like the DS fenders, front or rear, biggest thing i didnt like about the raptor / Z400, a lil water in the fields and ur gettin hit in the face from the tires, specially if u have a good set like the Holeshots.

Old 01-23-2005, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I could understand sand I guess.... although unless the sand eats up the plastic I'm not sure I'm removing the fenders for that either.

If it was weight.... I'd just say skip the double meat and cheese one day.. you will save more weight.

Looks...well, whatever floats your boat, I think the DS looks fine with the fenders myself.

But you are right.. .just a little mud and/or water and it's all over you without the fenders.

Old 01-24-2005, 02:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Wow, I'm the only one with the "cut" perspective??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I only run in the sand and don't have need for the fenders. Personal preference, I like the look of the cut plastic much better.

Weight savings is minimal by itself. Add the weight savings of the heel guards, front fenders and mounting brackets and everything adds up.

The final motivation for me to cut the fenders actually came when my plastic broke at one of the heel guards. Now that its done I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I think it makes me look thinner too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 04-05-2005, 01:44 AM
Trailblazer

i cut my fenders also. i like the look better and it is less weight with the guards and fronts off like DuneMe said. the amin reason i took the heal guards off though is because i was in mexico doin a jump and my foot slipped off and went through the guard when i landed. i had to sit there and bend it out of my tire after getting sucked off the bike. Now i run IMS pegs with kickups and no guards and feel WAY safer than i did before.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

The Buellman has full yellow fenders that I traded him for his race cut black ones. That was 2 1/2 months ago. He hasn't been back on here since 1/30/05. I guess he has been busy getting his new business going.

Old 04-05-2005, 02:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

HERE I BE! Yep.. been one busy boy.

Installed the yellow full fenders but now see why people pull em. The heel guards seem to be a problem with nerf bars and without the heel guards you can really use the fender supports...which means you have fenders floppin in the wind like Dumbo's ears...sooooooo.. guess I'll have to cut em unless someone knows of some type of fender supports.

Old 04-05-2005, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

I tossed the fronts in the trash as soon as I brought my DS home. I wish I'd saved them to sell. I had no idea what they are worth. The rears got cut pretty soon there after. I hate the look of the rear fenders...too big for my taste. As for mud, well, we don't see alot of that in Tucson. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
J.

Quick Reply: Rear fender removal?