CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

tm 45 or the new lectron 44mm power jet

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tm 45 or the new lectron 44mm power jet

which carb is better for a 03 ds 650. with rwr full exhaust, rwr cdi, and eventually im gettin an airbox nitrous kit.

i know the 46 lectron is best but its twice as much

thanks

Old 02-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you want a drag bike get a Lectron, if you want a trail bike get a TM.

Old 02-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

oh, and the Lectron 44 is not new, it was the first Lectron to hit the DS several years ago, but it didn't go far because it has the same slide hangup issues as the HV's.

Old 02-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

The slides dont hang up. I'll be glad to prove you wrong if you want to take this futher.

Old 02-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Range Rover

and if anybody knows of any good used lectron carb for sale let me know

Old 02-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The slides dont hang up. I'll be glad to prove you wrong if you want to take this futher.
I'm just sharing the info that is presented to me on this forum, there are many many people all over this and other forums, as well as people outside these forums out on the trails, that have been down this road with the slide sticking issues and are disgusted with them.
You continually take it personal, like I'm talking about you instead of Lectron. I do not understand why you refuse to acknowledge this extremely important and very obvious and apparent issue concerning the Lectron slides, but its really getting old. People come to you for drag performance, and you can continue to provide them with that regardless of whether or not you face up to the facts that so many people have spoken up about all over this internet.

Old 02-05-2005, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

You are right. There is a problem but its not the slide. The slide does not stick unless its full of mud or sand, at that point any slide will stick. I have seen ONE slide that actually stuck half open and that carb was full of sand.

If anyone thinks their slide is sticking and the obvious sand and mud is ruled out they need to check their throttle slack. Most quad riders like to have all the slack out of their throttle whether it be twist or thumb. Once the bike is ridden for a while the cable moves around a little and soaks up more slack, when the throttle is returned to idle the carb does not return to idle because there was not enough slack left in the cable. This is where the problem lies. A Lectron carb is so responsive it will hit red line when the clutch is pulled in with only 1/8 to 1/4 inch of slide opening causing someone to think that their carb is stuck wide open. This baffled me for quite some time until it happened to me at the southeast nationals. I noticed my bike was idleing very high after making some passes and discovered I had no slack in the throttle cable. Since then EVERY person I have talked to that thought their slide was sticking actually had the same problem I did when they went back and checked it out.

I am not taking this personal I am correcting bad information. You Hightower jump on every Lectron thread and make statements about slides hanging up when all you have to go on is assumptions.

How many hung up slides have you ever fixed??

Lectron puts every slide in every carb through a 60 cycle test before it can go out the door. The slide is not the problem its operator error just like when it happened to me with the tight throttle cable issue.

I have owned at least 9 different Lectrons and have been tuning, trail riding and racing them for 12years and have never had a slide stick or hang up.

What people are really disgusted with is your bad information. Is something set in stone because YOU heard it on the internet?

Old 02-05-2005, 01:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

This is not a Lectron thread, this is a thread asking for information about two different carbs so the asker can make an informed decision.
I simply give both sides of the fence. I recognize the Lectron makes slightly more HP than the Mikuni, but also recognize the fact that alot of people have reoccuring slide issues with their Lectrons.

Regardless of what is causing the slide to hang up, the fact remains that it does hang up often for a lot of people. Particals of sand or dirt or whatever apparently cause this carb to hang up much more easily than the Mikunis because the Mikuni's design is able to more easily overcome.

Maybe you really believe that there is no slide issue, maybe you maintain your machines a lot more detailed than others, and maybe you keep your carbs really good and clean and don't have issues as a result. But alot of people think they otta just be able to install a carb and not have to touch it for a whole season. And from what I am told by so many, this is just something you cannot do with the Lectron. A person will open and close their slide more times in a single GNCC event than the average duner or dragger will in a season, and all the while it is exposed to more dirt and grit than any other condition can present. Now in my world that equates to steering away from a type of carb that has a very well known history of slide issues. Therefore I stick by my original advice to everybody by repeatedly saying "If you want a drag bike get a Lectron, If you want a trail bike get a Mikuni".

Instead of sticking by your claim of "there is no slide issue", maybe you could try saying something like "some people have slide issues, although I never do, so if you want to be 100% sure you won't have any get the TM, but if you don't care about the potential of a slide issue then the Lectron will give the higher peak HP number". This way the people are not misinformed, and I won't have to step in so much and **** you off.

Old 02-05-2005, 03:16 AM
Pro Rider

I was asking the same questions you are a short while ago and i got the chance of a second hand hv46, I went for it despite my misgivings about slide issues and the fact i couldnt afford to have this happen to me in the terain i ride.

Result = delighted, the cable routing took a little time and efort to get right, the slide does not stick it offered to once but with a littlle more slack in the cable it has never done it again. the carb runs realy well and i am glad i opted for the 46.

there is a little suck shut when coming off idle but this is to be expected with a flat slide, and it is just a little if you get the idle set correctly you hardly feel it. This is with a twist throttle i have not tried it with a thumb so cant ofer any guidance there.

So good luck with whatever you get I have heard the Tm is a great carb also, it has many devotes.

Old 02-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Range Rover

hey thanks blue 250. exactly the kind of answer i was looking for.

i might just spend the extra $$ and get a 46.
sounds to me like mr. horsepower is willing to back up his products pretty good.

i myself have heard alot more bad things about the tm 45.
if putting a lil slack in the throttle cable is the only flaw, i say its a #@# good carb

Quick Reply: tm 45 or the new lectron 44mm power jet