CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Question about cleaning carbon off head and checking valve seats?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005 | 12:59 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Question about cleaning carbon off head and checking valve seats?

ok here is the scoop i had back surgery back in november of2004 and my motor has been sitting in my porch all winter ripped apart and now i am ready to put it back together, i bought a mr.hp 11.2:1 piston mr.hp ported intake and mr.hp endcap thanks again craneman, and now i am ready to assemble it i already had the local shop lightly hone my jugg looks great but my question is what is the best way to clean the carbon off of my head and how can i check my valve guides and seats? it was running good when i pulled it apart i just wanna double check everything while i am in here, the shop guy told me to put a small amount of gas around the seat with the head upside down and if it runs through the seat i need a valve job, is there a better way? i have my shims and buckets out if i have a cracked or broken spring will it be obvious? everything lookes ok any info is greatly appreciated thanks in advance fellas you guys rock,

Old 02-10-2005 | 01:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I put gas in the other side. . . pour it in the intake and see if it comes out the valves. Pretty easy to see it that way. Do the same on the exhaust side.

Preacher does my valves. I'm on an annual spring replacement rotation. You should be able to see missing springs but, not always easy to see. When the springs were new I couldn't press them down with my thumb. When they were a year old (and some broken) I could press down with my thumbs on the buckets (cams off) and the valve would open. Not a very scientific test.

Old 02-10-2005 | 01:36 PM
|
Pro Rider

ok thanks duneme im gonna try pushing down on them

Old 02-10-2005 | 01:40 PM
|
Pro Rider

ok duneme well i put my right thunb on the top of the springs and my left thumb on top of my right and i could push all of them open, it took a little bit of force lol now my thumbs hurt lol but i still have the stock springs in yet but they all felt the same, nothing looks broken or cracked and they dont make a noise when i push them down, maybe i just don't know my own strength lol

Old 02-10-2005 | 04:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well. . . .

(yeh, my thumbs hurt after too.)

It would have been easy if you couldn't get them to crack.

I really wouldn't be too concerned with stock cams but, it would be nice to check the spring tension vs. specs.

I would think your dealer or even a car mechanic could get a spring tension number for you.