CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New chain....no master link...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New chain....no master link...

Hey guy's I just picked up a new RK o-ring chain...this one doesn't have a master snap link. It has a rivet style link, and I've never used this type of chain before. Is there as trick to putting this thing together? I've been on it with needle nose vise grips, etc, and can't seem to get it on all the way. I did manage however, to give myself a pretty burly blood blister...don't think it's gonna help me though...lol.
Any help would be appreciated!!!
Justin

Old 03-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

A lot of chain kits come like this now, its a pain in the ar$e, do your self a service and go buy a clip master link . You need a chain riviter to do the job right and they aint cheep and it means the chain is on there until you break it off again. I used to use this set up on superbikes but there is no need for it on an atv.

Old 03-04-2005, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

Ditto to what blue said. I always took my street bikes to the shop and through the mechanic 10 bucks. The chain tool is 50,60 bucks.

Old 03-04-2005, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

Thank's for the reply's guys.... I'll see if I can locate a master link with a snap clip here in town. Something else I just stumbled upon...supposedly the 2000 DS has 110 links, but the chain I took off only has 109. I can't tighten the chain any more either, as the carrier tightens up, and the axle won't spin freely. I wonder how many links I'm going to have to remove? I would think no more than 2...what do you think?

Old 03-05-2005, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Do yourself a favor and beg, borrow or steal a rivet link tool or take it to a shop and have it put on. There's a reason Bomb uses rivet type links. $10 bucks or a case half? If you are constanly changing chains then maybe you should stick with clip links but it seems to me that everything on the DS is bulletproof and done for a reason, why downgrade? I've heard couple stories of guys throwing chains because of clip links and the stock case saver doesn't cut it.

Old 03-05-2005, 03:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

main thing when using a master link is to install the clip with the closed end of the clip facing forward and the open end facing rearward. this way if debris from the trail lodges somewhere and the clip rubs past it during rotation, it cannot get knocked off.
and secondly, do not, repeat, do not reuse the clips - if you take the chain off for whatever reason, reinstall with a new clip, do not trust the integrity of a reused clip.

searching for that master link, be certain it is the same exact brand and model - different brands have different thicknesses and pin lengths, if the pins are slightly too long the fit will be loose and the o-rings will not seal, if the pins are too short you will never get the clip on.

when removing links, for obvious reaons you can only remove 4 at a time, and there can only be an even number of links, a 109 link chain doesn't jive?

Old 03-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

Hmmm...I had to of miscounted then...could have sworn there was only 109... As far as the clip is concerned..the chain I removed had the snap clip on it. It was placed on correctly, and I never once had an issue with it. I don't mess with gearing enough to really require a snap clip, I was only going that route to save some cash... If I can get a shop to place the rivet link on for a reasonable price, I'll probably just do that.
Now on to my other issue.... I went back out last night, and messed with the carrier. I completely loosened the bolts up, and still the chain would not tighten up nearly enough. I actually got the carrier to completely rotate inside the swingarm. However, If I were to remove 4 links, I don't think the chain length would be adequate..... I must be missing something, it's not rocket science.
J