CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

glowing headers??wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glowing headers??wtf?

well my brother and I were playing out in teh snow on our ds's, I was trying out a few things on my new carb, and he just replaced his clutch plates. And then we noticed his head pipes were glowing, about 3-4" out of the head, originally we thought it was the main since we were gettin on it pretty good, and then we tried it again w/bigger main and it did it wen it was just idleing, I tried playing wit the air/fuel mix screw but it never made a difference, wat does this all mean?is his pilot to lean? I don't get it because i used the exact same jetting with my old carb and i never had this problem, wtf?

Old 03-06-2005, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

i dont know much about the ds but my buddys yzf did that from the factory never had a problem though his would be glowing red hot

Old 03-06-2005, 02:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

no headers should glow red, if a bike does it it otta be corrected. aluminum melts at 1500 degrees, steel glows red at 2200, the header is bolted to aluminum.

they glow from excess combustion heat, commonly caused from being lean. lean where is the tricky part. if it happens at idle or 1/8 throttle while putting around, its the pilot and idle mix screw. no two bikes will be the exact same on jetting setup, some heads flow better than others from the factory, some aftermarket exhaust flows better than others, the two DS's metioned do not necesarily need to be jetted the exact same.

it can also be caused by an exhaust valve not completely closed, lack of valve gap allowing combustion to enter the exhaust, unlikley but possible, easily ruled out by a quick valve clearnace check.

Old 03-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

I had my 04 Bajax out the other night and my head pipes also glowed orange 3 to 4 inches out of the head. I have a modified end cap, and dyno jet kit set up on the 2nd stage. I think the orange glow would be normal ? ? ?

Old 03-06-2005, 10:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

many pipes glow, many people say its "normal" or okay, but fact is they don't have to glow, and preferably should not if the bike was tuned correctly. its not about having a problem, or causing a problem, its about being right, and glowing red at over 2000 degrees is not right. you can ride your bike lean, or you can ride it rich, neither will cause you any real issues, but riding it jetted correct just makes more sense.

Old 03-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

Hey High tower. Are you saying that my jetting is not correct ? I went by Dynojets directions. If not what do you suggest doing ?

Old 03-06-2005, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

leave it alone, thats my suggestion. I had my bike(warrior not bomb, but no difference) jetted way rich for my first trip to the dunes. I didnt have a smaller jet on hand so I just ran it for the weekend and my head pipe still was glowing more of an orange than a red. If you think about the combustion temps in your engine this is not at all a problem. If the bike has been rejeted then you are fine.

Aaron

Old 03-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Range Rover

my ds did it the first night i got it . and i seen other types of quads do it .. i dont think its a big deal

Old 03-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Thin wall on the exhaust pipe can be part of the reason, you see it glowing. Thicker tube, or double wall tube, will prevent the glowing better.
I agree, that if the pipe is glowing, its not jetted correctly. But, if you have no other symptoms, of lean, then its probably due to thin wall tubing. Most dynos use egt sensors, hooked to the exhaust, to determine exhaust gas temps...this is the most accurate way of finding if its jetted correctly. If its hot enough to make steel glow red...its probably lean. Heres a chart, showing the color and approx temp of steel, when glowing. Cherry red is about 1450 F.
http://www.muggyweld.com/color.html

Old 03-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

Its not glowing red. Its Orange.

Quick Reply: glowing headers??wtf?