CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

cometic head gaskets for the TVi motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005 | 07:35 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default cometic head gaskets for the TVi motor?

has anyone tried these gaskets with a TVI cylinder? im going to tare mine down again and try get a seal, but if this dont work this time im going to have to try somthing else. i know a few others have tried it with sam coe motors , but i havent heard anyone trying it with a tvi motor..Thanks in advance....Rocky

Old 03-15-2005 | 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

They work great. Mine is a TVI sleeved 105.5 bore. Eric milled / re-decked the cylinder (so i was told) and I run 2 base gaskets and the cometic 3 peice. I also used Erics torque specks. Used oil on the nut flanges and torqued them to 37 ftlbs. Did the same with the other four bolts except the torque i used was 24 ftlbs. Also I forgot to mention. Put cometic gasket on dry.

Old 03-15-2005 | 10:00 PM
|
Pro Rider

what thickness are u running on your tripple gasket? i called cometic just see what they had, it seems they have many thickness levels for that gasket. i thought(i might be wrong) the stock thickness was 57 thousands of an inch thick..but he only carries a 67 and 50..he said he could build me a 60. but i figured i bettor do some more research before i purchased one...

Old 03-15-2005 | 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

Mine is .065"
In fact to be exact it is:
DS650 105.5 mm bore .065" MLS Head Gasket. Part #H1831065S

To be honest I don't know what the stock head gasket is. I don't have an old stock one around or I would mic it for you. Sorry. Maybe someone else knows.

Old 03-16-2005 | 12:03 AM
|
Pro Rider

thats exactly what i need...thanks again for your help...

Old 03-16-2005 | 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Eric re-worked my TVI cylinder and installed a cometic gasket on my 730 last year and it fixed the leaking problem....It is the same jug that Larry has now....The reason that Larry is running 2 base gaskets is to set his deck height correctly.....If HPR works on your jug they will be able to tell you what base gaskets you will need....

Old 03-16-2005 | 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

This is also something I have to do in the next week or so as I cannot get the head gasket to seal for more than a couple of rides.

I assume you can measure stack height and determine the thickness needed.

What are you using to fill in the o-ring groove?

How tight of tolerance is OK? Is a couple of .001" going to hurt if you stay on the high side?

Thanks,
Al

Old 03-16-2005 | 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

Mine no longer has the o-ring grove. Eric re-surfaced it. And that got rid of that grove. I asume that is the reason that I now need to use 2 base gaskets.

If your having a sealing problem I would contact Eric (MrHp) and see if he can do your cylinder the way he did the one I have. Just tell him that it is the one Eaglecollector is running and that it is Scotts old one. He'll know.

Old 03-17-2005 | 09:12 PM
|
Pro Rider

lrgmth, are u running TVI's 720?

Old 03-18-2005 | 02:21 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

After two trys with the copper head gasket supplied by TVI, I went to the Cometic triple. I used Pliobond on the gasket. I resurfaced the head to perfect. All is well now after several trips and a lot of hard runs up some long hills. I am now ready to try a little NOS, something I was afraid to do before because of the the weak head gasket seal.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: cometic head gaskets for the TVi motor?