CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New DS runs hotter than Old one

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2000, 08:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I am the guy that destroyed his first DS in a headon with a Banshee. Two weeks ago I got my new DS and I noticed during break in that after it warmed up and I would come to a stop that the red oil temp light would come on but if I reved up the motor a little or took off again it would go out. To be on the safe side I would stop to let the DS cool down a while when this happened even though I knew it was not overheating. The oil level was good and so was the coolant level so I didn't know what was causing it. When I took it in for its first 10hr service I told them to check it out. When I picked it up they told me "quote" I had an air bubble in the system and they flushed the oil system real good and I should have no problems. Well guess what it is still doing it, and I think the engine is running hotter because I took it down to Buckleberry yesterday and I could only get 2-3 runs on the drag strip in a row before the red light would flicker, on my old DS I could get 5-6 or maybe more before that might would happen. Now I do have a Ron Wood stage1 kit and BigGun exaust but would that really make it run that much hotter, plus it did do this before any modifications were made. Any info will be very helpful Thank you.

Old 09-25-2000, 08:49 PM
Range Rover

Is it running lean? I have seen several people saying that Bombardier changed the jetting on the 2001. Or is your new one still a 2000?

Old 09-25-2000, 09:07 PM
Range Rover

It is still a 2000 model made 3/00

Old 09-25-2000, 10:13 PM
Trailblazer

Check for Gas in the oil. It may be that the oil is thinning out on you. I have had this happen to me. It is probably a valve adjustment needed. I have a 2001 carb on my 2000.

Old 09-26-2000, 12:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

bigR, There is a recall on the oil pressure switch due to a bad batch of switches. The dealer should have known this. I had this problem, and after convincing myself there was nothing wrong with the DS, I replaced the switch with a BMW F650 part and the flickering light went away. I too took the causcious route and let the DS cool when I saw the flickering light - better to be safe than sorry.

As far as the DS running hotter with a free flowing exhaust, this has been my experience too. However, lean jetting could be a factor. The jetting for the wood carb doesn't take into account your air filter setup. I would want to be absolutely certain that the jetting is fat enough at all RPMs. Be sure that your gas tank vent is not plugged causing fuel starvation.

Old 09-26-2000, 06:06 PM
Range Rover

One more thing I forgot to mention, twice on sunday when I cut the DS off it would not start back. The first time it would turn over but not start. I waited for it to cool down to pull the plugs out incase I fouled them. The plugs looked fine but they were not wet. I thought with all the turning over I had done to the engine that the plugs would be wet. I put the same plugs back in and it fired right up after having cooled down. If it could be the heat causing that then this DS is definatly running hotter than my old one because that never happened. The second time it would not start up was after a couple drag races we stopped to smoke a cigarete, since it was almost dusk I had my head light on. We were not stopped for more than 4 minutes and the DS acted like it had a dead battery, so we pushed it off and got it running again. My old DS I accidently left the headlight on for almost 20 minutes and it cranked right up.
What is going on with this thing???