CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 02:28 PM
SLS
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello

Hello everyone, I'm sorta new to the forum. I've been reading on the site for a few weeks now and would like to thank everyone for all the information. Great community.

The DS is my first quad and althought my reasons for buying it might not have been the smartest ones, it's turned out to be an excellent choice.

After seeing a picture of a homemade endcap I made one out of stainless (see pics). The outlet is not quite 2", repacked the muffler, installed a UNI airfilter. It sounds great!

After some searching on jetting I bought a 170 and 175 Mikuni mainjets. We ride anywhere from almost sea level to around 4000'. If you wouldn't mind to give me somewhere to start on the carb tuning?

Other than cleaning them and puting them back together exactly as they came apart I've never done much for adjusting them.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 03-20-2005, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hello

Welcome to the forum. You made a great choice with the DS.

Old 03-20-2005, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hello

I run at almost sea level and use a 172.5 main jet with a trinity Stage IV full system and a K&N.... just start out and see where it takes you, or do the smart thing and look up the jetting from your carb company or the aftermarket accessories company. ;-)

Old 03-21-2005, 06:33 AM
Pro Rider
Default Hello

nice clean job on the endcap mod. did you re-atatch the spark arester? it looks like you did. I think the 2 stock pipes on the encap are about 1" each on the outside. about half that on the inside. I cut the pipes off the inside of mine. put the sparky back on. and ran a 170 mikuni. then put a dyno jet kit in. and run the 180 with dynojet needle. I have about a 2" opening. the 2 that you have should be good. you might want to drop the clip on your needle to the last groove as well.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:52 PM
SLS
Weekend Warrior
Default Hello

Thank you, I was pretty happy with the results. Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

The spark aresstor is new (stainless) but about the same mesh as the stock.

I'd thought about leaving the two outlet tubes, seeing as they're a combined 2 inches. Then thought that maybe it would be a better flow with one big hole? After cutting the 2" hole it left the two outside corners of the stock tubes but the flange on the new one covers them.

Picked up a tuning guide for the HSR42....

Steve